High Nitrates Problem

1. O

Otto1 Valued Member Member

So I have a high nitrate problem currently. My nitrates always seem to be around above 40ppm even after a 50% water change. However, my tap usually has 5-20ppm nitrates depending on the day.
    So for stocking it's 3 gulf killifish each about 4 inches. Aquaclear 20 filter, 10 gallon tank. 0.25/0/40< are the parameters.
    For plants 1 Amazon sword, 300 duckweed plants, and 15> stalks of egeria densa. Substrate is caribsea supernaturals aquarium sand that is supposed to absorb nitrates. One piece of driftwood.
    What do y'all think I should do about my high nitrates and what could be contributing to my problem? the goal is to have 20ppm nitrates the most, so I can add 3-5 grass shrimp and keep my fish healthy.
    I'm also dosing Seachem Flourish as instructed by bottle once per week 0.7ml.

2. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

Do 50% water changes on back to back days.

Then test daily and when your nitrates get to 20ppm, do another 50% water change. Test daily. When you get back to 20ppm, you know your WC schedule=how many days did it take to get to 20ppm.

Hope that makes sense?

3. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

>300 duckweed plants

lol

4. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Valued Member Member

Perhaps the plants are to blame? But typically they help with getting rid of nitrates, not causing them. And nitrates are really only removed during water changes.

5. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Plants only create nitrates if they are decomposing. Plants are an excellent way to reduce nitrates in an aquarium, though water changes should still be performed.

6. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Valued Member Member

First, your Ammonia reading is too high. What's your Tap water test at? And what media are you using in your filter?

7. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

If you are doing your water change on a day your tap water is up to 20 the water change isn't going to help much. Sounds like you need to base your water change day on the days your tap water is down to 5 instead of the days it is up to 20.

8. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

Three 4 inch fish is a lot of bioload for a 10 gallon tank, which would also explain why you have some ammonia as well. I’d suggest getting a bigger tank.

9. OP
    OP
    O

Otto1 Valued Member Member

Updates: 60% water change using small air tube to put water from bucket to tank to slowly acclimate the fish. Nitrates are now 20-40ppm closer to 40 ppm. I'm going to do a 50% water change tomorrow and go from there.

10. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

If I had your problem, I would test my water. If nitrates were down, just siphon and refill.

No reason to take the time to drip.