High Nitrates From Tap

1. F15FreeEagle Member Member

Hi everyone. My tap has high nitrates (80-90ish, according to API test kit.) Ammonia and Nitrite are always at zero in my aquariums, but of course the nitrates reflect what my water source is. My 75 gallon (planted) has been up and running for about 4 years, and my 125 gallon mbuna aquarium has been going for almost 3 years now. I have suffered minimal fish casualties, but it still drives me nuts.

Anyone have any bright ideas on how to counter-act this? Anyone have any experience with any products that help?

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I have 80ppm in my tap water and I use seachem matrix. Works really well for me and using it along with duckweed has brought nitrates down to about 10-30ppm in most of my tanks.

3. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

Where about in the uk are you ? I thought i was the only one to have this problem i put it down to living very close to Birmingham.

4. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I'm in the north of England :)

5. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

Opposite ends basically, the uk rules must be less strict are you next to a major city?

6. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

No pretty rural. Isn't the maximum allowed in tap water like 50ppm?

7. F15FreeEagle Member Member

Good to hear. I just put some matrix in my canisters maybe a week ago. We'll see how things look in a couple of weeks or so. :D

8. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

Thats what i read on the internet but my tap is reading 40 right now and yours is 80 so i don't know whats going on.

9. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

Cancel my last i know whats going on. 25d5284bb4f625f1a6396b01e97c29fd.jpg

10. tjander Well Known Member Member

I had great success with Anitra-Zorb...