Question High nitrates but...

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i have pretty high nitrates immediately after testing it was getting red. i going to assume some of it is leaking from my substrate because i see bubbles coming from the sand randomly through out the day. how much are nitrates an issue if you have plants?

so far i have an amazon sword and dwarf sag that has send out a bit of runners

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you are testing with the API liquid test kit then red on a nitrate test is a water change. That’s over 40 ppm.
At over 40 ppm ( red ) the fish are not in an ideal environment. Having plants in a tank is not a replacement for doing maintenances . Yes plants use a small amount of nitrates to grow .Yes plants need a small amount of nitrates to grow.

You ask
“how much are nitrates an issue if you have plants“

The answer is nitrates are just as dangerous to your fish if the tank has plants or not.

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Flyfisha said:
If you are testing with the API liquid test kit then red on a nitrate test is a water change. That’s over 40 ppm.
At over 40 ppm ( red ) the fish are not in an ideal environment. Having plants in a tank is not a replacement for doing maintenances . Yes plants use a small amount of nitrates to grow .Yes plants need a small amount of nitrates to grow.

You ask
“how much are nitrates an issue if you have plants“

The answer is nitrates are just as dangerous to your fish if the tank has plants or not.
yeah i was planning to do a water change tomorrow, because im not sure how to handle waterchanges when youve been dosing co2 all day

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don’t wish to sound rude but if I had a dollar for every time I have read “planning to do a water change tomorrow “
Smashing out a five minute small water only change can be done in the time it takes to write a reply. You can do another small one tomorrow.

I do water changes after midnight or before breakfast.
I understand parents in a house may be an issue if you are up at midnight “ playing “ with fish.

I don’t know your time zone or care. As far as I am concerned if you are awake and on the computer you could do a water change NOW.
As far as I am concerned the five minutes it takes to do a liquid test is five minutes you can smash out a water change.

I do not have CO2 being added artificially to my tanks . As far as I know have CO 2 makes no difference to the time of day you change water.

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i dont exactly know how co2 works , if its immediately used or sits in the tank. if i did a water change it would all just disappear wouldnt it? anyway i turned off my co2 for the day and ill be doing a water change soon. had nothing to do with what time i do changes, i just didnt want to waste it by throwing it out

New Threads