High nitrate

1. benharmer87 Member Member

I checked my parameters yesterday and amm was 0, nitrites were .25 or a lil lower and my nitrates were 160 ppm. Wth. I did about 40% water change. I checked again and its lower but not quite 80. What do I do? Another water change?

Sent from my SCH-R830C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Yes, I would do three back to back 50% water changes to get those nitrates down to about 10ppm (assuming your tap water is nitrate free)

3. benharmer87 Member Member

Noooo... it ain't! I just finally tested the tap and it is around 100 ppm. No lie! I didn't think it was supposed to be high at all. That's why I never got around to testing it. What I do?

4. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Did you really shake and beat both bottles for a minute each?

5. benharmer87 Member Member

Yes. Im gonna try again

Yup about 100 ppm

I shook the bottles longer then a min each. I never shook so hard before. I gave it my all. Lol. It stay the same. I even used a different tube

6. utkgreg Well Known Member Member

Sorry you're having problems Ben. Three options come readily to mind, if you truly have high nitrates. (Sometimes kits can be contaminated - I'd get a second opinion. Buy a second kit, or have your LFS do a test for you.)
    1) Plants. Lots and lots of plants.
    2) Find another water source - your lfs, etc.
    3) Purchase an RO/DI system.

7. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I would contact your water company & get them to test your supply as there are legal limits for the amount of nitrates in our water, & it's possible something's gone wrong somewhere that they can fix.
    In the meantime as uktgreg says, find another source of water for your changes, many Lfs sell Ro water quite cheaply

8. benharmer87 Member Member

I realized I had another test kit I inherited with the tank. I just tested with that one and its around 20. My other is an api master kit I barely got a month and a half ago. The one I just used is called freshwater master kit. I guess I freaked a little for nothing. So I tested my tank with this kit and nitrate level around 40 ppm. Which one do I believe? I'll check with water company still.

9. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Phew, glad its not as high as you thought, just as well you had another kit :)

10. benharmer87 Member Member

E too. I thought that was ridiculously high. Lol