High Nitrate levels Help

1. Michaela Initiate Member

:;hi1 Hello all, I am new to this forum but not especially new to fish keeping - altho I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing most of the time. I have a 125 litre trpoical freshwater tank with approx 20 - 25 fish in it, comprising Zebra Danios, a couple or so guppies, 4 Gouramis and some rather large cat fish. My tank has some plants but not many. The guppies breed every now and then so occasionally I may find a baby lurking amongst the greenery. I feed a flake food once a day and sinking pellets for the catfish. Anyway I have a API freshwater master testing kit which I use regularly. All is well with PH around 7.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrite, 0 but horror I have found my nitrate to be around 60 ish!. I know this is too high, firstly should I do daily 20% water changes (at present I do them every two weeks) or secondly is it better to buy something to reduce the Nitrate a.s.a.p. all fish seem ok, except 1 of the guppies seems a little unwell. Can anyone help? - many thanks in advance :;thx

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi and welcome to FL!

I'd say do a 50% change every couple of days until it is back down.

Also, although you say you don't know about the nitrogen cycle, you seem to be doing well. You should read the link.

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore :)
    Have all those fish been in the tank for 2 years?
    In your aquarium info, it says your nitrate are 10, but your post says 60?

Water changes will bring your nitrates down, you don't have to use products to do that.
    My suggestion would be to do a 50% change today, if your pH is the same from tap to tank. If it's not, 2 25% changes will be safe.
    Repeat tomorrow, that should bring you down closer to the 15ppm range.

You might want to change your water routine to weekly if your nitrsates are creepy up to 60 in two weeks.

Best of luck!

4. dvc_r Well Known Member Member

I agree with Lucy. Increase your water changes to once a week. Depending upon your lighting, you can increase the amount of live plants, this will also keep nitrates (and algae) down.

Three breeders told me:
    "Water is are the BEST medication to put into your tank" -always!

5. Michaela Initiate Member

Many thanks to all of you that replied. I'll do the water changes and keep an eye on the levels. Because my nitrate levels had been low in all previous checks I thought they still were which is why I put the level of 10 on the info page (should have checked it again first!!) Most of the fish have been in their for 2 years but not all. This is a great forum, glad I've stumbled on it. Thanks once again I'll let you know how I get on:;thx

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Michaela and Welcome to Fish Lore! I hope you enjoy the site. Great information above.
    Ken

7. Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

Michaela, Welcome to Fishlore and let us know how you make out.

8. dee34 Member Member

hi michaela welcome to fishlore :;hi1