How long has the tank been running?
2 weeks
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What is the water temperature?
78 degrees Fahrenheit
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
Dragon Scale Male Betta
Golden Mystery Snail

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?

Once a week

How much of the water do you change?
20%
What do you use to treat your water?
Topfin water conditioner, api ammo lock, and stability
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?

I’m not sure that I did. I had the filter, heater, and water at the correct temperature and conditioned, but I did not get any bacteria added until about a week ago

What do you use to test the water?
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

I use imagitarium 5-in-1 aquarium water test strips. It measures:
Ammonia: it does not measure ammonia
Nitrite: 0-0.5-1-3-5-10-20
Nitrate: 0-20-40-80-160-200
pH: 5.5-6.5-7.0-7.5-8.0-8.5-9.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?

3 times a day with small snacks
How much do you feed your fish?
6-8 pellets per meal and 2-3 for snacks
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Betta Bio-Gold
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
I have freeze dried worms but he doesn’t eat those as much
Illness & Symptoms - I’m not sure if he is acting any differently l, I’m just worried that the condition of the tank will make hurt him

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
The nitrate levels were reading around 40 ppm and the nitrite around 3-5ppm. I did a 50% water change yesterday and added the stabilizer and ammo lock. The levels have dropped not significantly. Is this something I have to wait for over time? Or is there anything I can do to help now?
I’m sorry if this isn’t considered an emergency, I’m a new fish owner and I read that high levels of nitrate could really hurt the fish. Thank you so much for any help.

FishBoy101

dazejahm said:
What is the water volume of the tank?
5 gallons
How long has the tank been running?
2 weeks
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What is the water temperature?
78 degrees Fahrenheit
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
Dragon Scale Male Betta
Golden Mystery Snail

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?

Once a week

How much of the water do you change?
20%
What do you use to treat your water?
Topfin water conditioner, api ammo lock, and stability
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?

I’m not sure that I did. I had the filter, heater, and water at the correct temperature and conditioned, but I did not get any bacteria added until about a week ago

What do you use to test the water?
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

I use imagitarium 5-in-1 aquarium water test strips. It measures:
Ammonia: it does not measure ammonia
Nitrite: 0-0.5-1-3-5-10-20
Nitrate: 0-20-40-80-160-200
pH: 5.5-6.5-7.0-7.5-8.0-8.5-9.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?

3 times a day with small snacks
How much do you feed your fish?
6-8 pellets per meal and 2-3 for snacks
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Betta Bio-Gold
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
I have freeze dried worms but he doesn’t eat those as much
Illness & Symptoms - I’m not sure if he is acting any differently l, I’m just worried that the condition of the tank will make hurt him

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
The nitrate levels were reading around 40 ppm and the nitrite around 3-5ppm. I did a 50% water change yesterday and added the stabilizer and ammo lock. The levels have dropped not significantly. Is this something I have to wait for over time? Or is there anything I can do to help now?
I’m sorry if this isn’t considered an emergency, I’m a new fish owner and I read that high levels of nitrate could really hurt the fish. Thank you so much for any help.
Only feed your fish once a day. Do a 50 percent water change. Right now you are doing a fish in cycle mattgirl can help with the fish in cycle.

mattgirl

I can help but Please read This first. You are doing a fish in cycle. I will highly recommend you STOP adding ammo-lock and get something to test your ammonia level.

Nitrates aren't a problem but those nitrites can cause a great deal of damage.

Please read the thread I linked to and then commit to doing water changes to get the ammo-lock out of there and the ammonia and nitrites down as low as possible.

I also think you are overfeeding.

BTW: I don't understand the numbers you posted for your pH, nitrites and nitrates. Each should be a single number.

dazejahm

FishBoy101 said:
Only feed your fish once a day. Do a 50 percent water change. Right now you are doing a fish in cycle mattgirl can help with the fish in cycle.
Thank you!

dazejahm

mattgirl said:
I can help but Please read This first. You are doing a fish in cycle. I will highly recommend you STOP adding ammo-lock and get something to test your ammonia level.

Nitrates aren't a problem but those nitrites can cause a great deal of damage.

Please read the thread I linked to and then commit to doing water changes to get the ammo-lock out of there and the ammonia and nitrites down as low as possible.

I also think you are overfeeding.

BTW: I don't understand the numbers you posted for your pH, nitrites and nitrates. Each should be a single number.
Thank you so much for your help. I got a tester, and the ammonium level is testing between 4 and 8 ppm. With the numbers for the pH, I thought it was asking for the scale system on the bottle, I apologize for the confusion. I'm going to go ahead and do a 50% water change and take your advice from the link. Thanks again

mattgirl

The problem with using ammo-lock is it locks up the ammonia. That is the reason you are seeing such a high ammonia reading and why I recommend you stop adding it. Your bacteria can't eat locked up ammonia so it just keeps rising and your cycle is struggling. Ammo-lock has its place but should never be used while cycling a tank. Your bacteria needs the ammonia to grow.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I will try to answer them :)

Top Bottom