high light plants are dying?

1. MalibuMafiaV Member Member

So I have a high light situation. I use to always turn my light on. It's a 6500k LED with a lot of wattage ( it gets warm ). Before it was 6500k with far less wattage. My power supply broke for it and I replaced it with an ebay one. After that my plants started dying ( assuming it was to powerful ).

So now I'm wondering what are some high light plants I can get?

All the fish are fine no issue there. Just all the plants are dying. I HAD java fern, amazon sword, anubis, and hornwort.

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Did you only have those plants? None of those are high light plants, all are low light.

Can you give us more info? What kind of light is it? Just because it's 6500 K with a lot of wattage doesn't mean you get high light.

What's the size of the tank? What kind of substrate do you have? What kind of fertilizers do you add? Do you inject CO2?

3. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

To grow aquatic plants you need three things: light, fertilization, and CO2. The biggest mistake is making light the dominating factor: light should be the LEAST dominant factor. You cannot blast a tank with light and expect great results. More light means that you need more ferts and CO2 and without that you get poor plant performance, but splendid algae growth. With the plants that you are using, i would raise the light off of the tank some. Questions: 1. what are the dimensions of your tank? 2. What light do you have? EE BAYE lights are not the best IMO. I can suggest some, depending on your budget if you like.

4. MalibuMafiaV Member Member

Hey guys sorry for late reply. I've been extremely busy.

My tank was heavily planted and honestly growing fine for at least a year. Until I had to put in a different power supply for my light which draws more wattage/heat. My tank is a 40gal I do not use C02 injection.

This is the light I have
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-18-24-30...hash=item4199209897:m:mfriQR3BrhPi3UcIjbXrY7g

I have very low algae growth. I did use excel flourish excel for about 2-3 weeks back when the plants grew insane. But I stopped after that and they still grew amazing. I added a bubbler in the tank and now that I think about it... that's when the plants started dying a bit as well.

If you need anymore information please let me know. And thank you for your help.

5. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Planted tanks only need to be aerated at night when plants take in oxygen. When aerated during the day you are getting rid of all of the CO2, which plants need during photosynthesis.

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

With that light you're likely getting low light, but for your plants, that's perfect! I agree, I'd remove the bubbler completely or only run it at night.

7. MalibuMafiaV Member Member

Whelp this is what I'm going to do. Buy tons of new plants. Plant them and turn off the air pump during the day and only turn it on during the night. Hopefully that'll help.

I use to notice if I didn't leave the air on at night the fish would turn white and look like their dying lol

Can you guys recommend a good place online to buy plants? I usually go to my local fish store. But maybe I can find some better deals online.

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Make sure to only buy plants that would work with your lighting and fert schedule.

That's not normal for the fish to do that. Can you give us a bit more info on your tank? Tank size and fish in there? pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates?

What kind of filter?

9. MalibuMafiaV Member Member

All water parameters are fine. pH is at 7.6ish water temp is always 76-81.

I have a SunSun canister filter with UV light.

What are some plants you recommend? and what's a good website for them?

Honestly my tank was booming and amazing. Until I changed the power adapter for the light.... and added the air...

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you not give specific parameters? Telling us they're "fine" isn't helpful :)

Most of the low light plants should be fine. Crypts, Java fern, Java moss, jungle val, water wisteria, water sprite, Anubias, etc.

11. MalibuMafiaV Member Member

0 ammonia , 0 nitrite 50-60nitrate , 7.0-7.6ish pH

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Your nitrates are a bit high, and that's quite a wide range for your pH. I'd do water changes to get your nitrates lower (under 40 ppm is good, under 20 ppm is ideal). pH swings can be harmful to fish; what's your GH and KH?

13. MalibuMafiaV Member Member

I honestly have no idea what my hardness is. How would I go about testing this? the master test kit doesn't do that.

14. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You need a separate KH/GH test kit. API sells one pretty cheaply on Amazon.

15. MalibuMafiaV Member Member

Excellent I just purchased it. Once I get the results I'll respond. Then hopefully we can figure out what the hells goin on with my tank lol.

16. MalibuMafiaV Member Member

Ok so I did the test I hope you can help now.

Does the initial drop count? Anyways I added 4 in total to KH and it turned yellow.
    The GH took me 28 drops... I'm guessing that is NOT good.

Sorry for being a n00b. I'm just trying to learn as much as possible and have a healthy and beautiful aquarium.

17. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Your KH is a bit low, which might explain the change in pH. Your GH is quite high, but I'm not sure if that would adversely affect plants.

18. MalibuMafiaV Member Member

SO here's what I came up with finally. The light wasn't on enough at all. I put it on a timer for 10 hours a day. Before It was on maybe 1-3 times a week for 8 hours each time.

Second off the water I use is tap. Using prime and neutral regulator. Which HAS helped a lot. BUT in the end the tap water in Malibu is absolutely terrible and WAY WAY to hard filled with so much bad stuff I'm not going to use it anymore.

So now I'm going to be doing water changes with 10 gallons of RO water w/ prime in it. Hopefully once a week. No need for the neutral regulator at that point in my opinion.

19. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would cut it down to 8 hours a day - 10 is a little too long.

Hard water is usually fine for plants.

You'll need to add tap water or remineralize the RO water at some point. Your KH will only decrease with RO water, and that can cause your pH to fluctuate, which can kill your fish. So straight RO water changes from here on out is not helpful. If you want to use RO water, add something to increase KH at least.