High Levels Nitrates In Tap Water! Help!!!

amberskye

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OMG

i have just retested my tap water as I had a suspicion that it wasnt too healthy.

amm 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 40ppm or higher

(API liquid test showed a colour red that was darker than 40 but lower than 80)

If thats the case, and ive tested it 3 times to be certain it is, then surely im on a no win here with cycling my tank?

Tank has been cycling with 3 fish for over 3 weeks now and im doing 50% w/ch everyday using Prime to condition the whole tank volume, not just the new water.
Tank today : amm 0.5 ****this is up from yesterdays 0.25
nitrites 0 ****and have been zero for over a week
nitrates 80ppm ****this is steadily rising - was 40 yesterday ???

I always wait 24hrs after a water change to retest and im using a gravel vacc each w/change also. Theres no live plants.

Thankyou

Sharkdude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you have no3 in your tap the I would highly suggest getting some plants to help keep it down.

Danni

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lots and lots of plants...There are many different kinds that will handle a lower light set up if that is what you have. I think they call Hornwort nitrate sponges.
Do you have access to Prime Water Conditioner there? This will help to detoxify any lethal levels at least for 24 hours. It's a great conditioner all around anyway as well.
Also- did you allow the water to sit for a day before you checked? I know this is how you get a true ph reading- I"m guessing it would work for nitrate? Just a thought...

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Letting water sit won't change the nitrate level Danni. Unless you let it sit so long it grows lots of algae which eat the nitrate

Amber, your high nitrates won't stop your tank from cycling. It will just mean you are stuck with high nitrates in your water even after changes. There are a number of nitrate absorbing products you can use, or perhaps bottled water. Pretty expensive. Ouch. Lets see if anyone has any better ideas.

riddik1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
check out the fluval lab series. they have a nitrate remover that i use and it works really well. my tap is also over 40 and with some plants and the nitrate remover my levels stay around 5. im just careful to change less water more often to help keep the nitrates down.

Danni

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
claudicles said:
Letting water sit won't change the nitrate level Danni. Unless you let it sit so long it grows lots of algae which eat the nitrate

Amber, your high nitrates won't stop your tank from cycling. It will just mean you are stuck with high nitrates in your water even after changes. There are a number of nitrate absorbing products you can use, or perhaps bottled water. Pretty expensive. Ouch. Lets see if anyone has any better ideas.
LOL good to know...just thought I would throw it out there.

chrisgoforth

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have the exact same issue. Took me a long time to figure out why my tank was always at 40ppm. I am still fighting the problem and have added some plants. I am also waiting on the arrival of a nitrate filter I found on-line that has received decent reviews on other fish boards. http://www.aquaripure.com/. I am planning on posting a review on here once I get it and try it out. It is not an overly cheap solution but it looks like it will be cheaper then using RO water instead of tap.

It is also fun to tell people that I have to store vodka in the house for my fish. LOL

amberskye

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
chrisgoforth said:
I have the exact same issue. Took me a long time to figure out why my tank was always at 40ppm. I am still fighting the problem and have added some plants. I am also waiting on the arrival of a nitrate filter I found on-line that has received decent reviews on other fish boards. http://www.aquaripure.com/. I am planning on posting a review on here once I get it and try it out. It is not an overly cheap solution but it looks like it will be cheaper then using RO water instead of tap.

It is also fun to tell people that I have to store vodka in the house for my fish. LOL
i shall watch with interest

Thanks everyone., This lil tank is being so troublesome to cycle. its 4 weeks tomorrow and still amm is stuck on .5 nit 0 nitra 60ppm

doing 50% w.c everyday

djsmiley2k

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Could it be possible the 0.5 ammmonia is from (over)feeding, and infact your tank is converting everything into nitrates?

Anyone comment on this?

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
amberskye said:
i shall watch with interest

Thanks everyone., This lil tank is being so troublesome to cycle. its 4 weeks tomorrow and still amm is stuck on .5 nit 0 nitra 60ppm

doing 50% w.c everyday
Cycling usually takes about 6 weeks, and using cycle may have set you back a little. So hang in there and try to be patient. You'll get there.

I always say once you are abo****ly positive your tank will never, ever cycle, it usually takes three more days.

amberskye

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
update:today am 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 40ppm (same as tapwater)

sounds done but 3 more days you say? lol. okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hopefully you are cycled. Keep an eye on the water for a few more days and if ammonia and nitrite stay at zero (without water change) it time to send out the invitations!

I got my fingers crossed for you!

amberskye

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jdhef said:
Hopefully you are cycled. Keep an eye on the water for a few more days and if ammonia and nitrite stay at zero (without water change) it time to send out the invitations!

I got my fingers crossed for you!

it would be a real bonus if this tank was cycled AND i got a new tank this week....lol....

chrisgoforth

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Quick update on the nitrate filter. The cycle has obviously started. The water coming out of the filter is lower in nitrates then the water going but only slightly. So far I am slightly disappointed that it is not working faster but that is my own lack of patience and really should not be a reflection on the product, after all it has only been a week at this point.
I did however change the power head that came with the filter for a much quieter one. Just a tip if anyone orders these it is a bit difficult to find a power head that will fit the tubing. I found one that kind of works but it was really tough to get the tubing attached to the output of the power head because I could not find one with a small enough outlet.

Bgnrfishlvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm a little late here but I have a similar problem with my PH being high so I use 1 gallon of spring water (not RO) every few weeks in my 10 gallon. It seems to keep my PH at an acceptable level so maybe it would help you combat nitrates too?

Side note: We both started at the same time and we have both moved on to MTS . Good luck on your new tankl!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom