High chlorine/chloramines in water lately

GouramiGuy714

So I made another thread on how my fish keep dying and I’ve just constantly been researching anything that could be wron. I came across the fact that in these summer months, more chlorine and chloramine have been added to the water in some places. If anyone knows more about this, please reply. This is an open discussion thread so post anything you know about this.

Jennmariexoxo

My city does the same. It smells awful is your first clue that they've started adding extra chemicals. I make sure I use water conditioner for all water changes even if only adding a little bit to top off. Whenever I notice the change I test my tap water to see the difference just for curiosity. The ammonia is always increased during summer months. Was your tank cycled beforehand? Have you tested your current levels? My LFS had a whole tank die off due to the spikes even after adding prime because of the difference.

Upvote 0

GouramiGuy714

My city does the same. It smells awful is your first clue that they've started adding extra chemicals. I make sure I use water conditioner for all water changes even if only adding a little bit to top off. Whenever I notice the change I test my tap water to see the difference just for curiosity. The ammonia is always increased during summer months. Was your tank cycled beforehand? Have you tested your current levels? My LFS had a whole tank die off due to the spikes even after adding prime because of the difference.
Wow. A whole tank? I have cycled my tank and I’ve tested my current levels. This is a big problem here now but i think it will pass soon

Upvote 0

Jennmariexoxo

Wow. A whole tank? I have cycled my tank and I’ve tested my current levels. This is a big problem here now but i think it will pass soon
Yeah the first week was brutal. I went a couple extra days in between WCs until it evened out more. Unfortunately for the LFS the guy did a WC then came in after a weekend off and half the fish had died from the spikes.

Upvote 0

GouramiGuy714

Ooh bad timing. All this explains why most of my fish died after heavy water changes when more of the chlorines were added into the tank

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nickguy5467
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
MasterPython
Replies