High ammonia

Dgonc86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey everyone my tank is showing about .4 ppm of ammonia, what’s best solution to control it?

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like its cycling (Im guessing you didnt cycle it before adding the fish since its only a week old). 25% water change won't do a ton, do more like 50-75%. If you have 1ppm ammonia and change 25% its still going to be .75ppm. Id do 75% change and make it .25ppm. Ammonia WILL kill your fish in high levels.

Since it sounds like you're doing a fish-in cycle youll REALLY need to watch your levels and do daily water changes based on them, not just an arbitrary percentage.

Lucy Fantail

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeh your tank is still cycling. You should do a 75% water change, to bring down that Amonia.. The next 2 weeks is gonna be crutial with your fish, your gonna have to do a daily water change, to stop that Amonia and Laiter the Nitrite spike, which will suffocate your fish..

Yeh a double dose of seacham prime will help destress your fish too as well as remover the Amonia..

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't add anything but the prime and your bacteria. Do lots of testing and water changes.

Lucy Fantail

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I agree with StarGirl15 do what she says.. The cycling of your filters and gravel can take a while minimum of 2 weeks, I waited 4 weeks before introducing my goldies..

Lucy Fantail

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
During Cycling your tank goes through a very high Amonium stage then, a really high Nitrite stage.. Nitrites lower nitrates get higher and once cycled they all become 0.. Well that's what your aiming for anyways..

OP
Dgonc86

Dgonc86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think my kit is also showing the in-ionized ammonium. I put my values in a calculator and it’s showing 0.11 ppm of ammonia instead of 0.5. Going to reduce the PH and lower temperature and see if I get a decrease

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When you get to 0 ammonia 0 Nitrites and a Nitrate reading for like a week you can consider it cycled. Its going to be awhile......

Dont worry about the ph right now. for really.

OP
Dgonc86

Dgonc86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Re calculated with my PH and temp, and it’s showing 0.11 ppm of ammonia. See with lower temp and lower Ph if it drops

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your tank is a week old then you're not cycled and you will continue showing ammonia until your Nitrosomonas colony is big enough to consume it. THEN youll start seeing nitrites as that's their byproduct. When your Nitrospira colony grows to consume the nitrites, then youll be cycled and you won't see ammonia or nitrites anymore. It can take up to 2 months but since you have fish in the tank youll have to watch it like a hawk and keep levels safe, which means it will take longer for your colony to grow big enough to consume all the ammonia.

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is what I meant by ONLY the Prime and bacteria. Dont mess with other chemicals. Water changes water changes water changes. Test .....water changes. :D

Lucy Fantail

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just listen to us all here Dgonc86 your tank is not cycled.. It take about 3 to 4 keels for a tank to cycle.. Just do your water changes and hope that's enough to protect fish... 75% today, 25 % each day for the next week.. Hopefully that will help to protect your fish

StarGirl15 said:
This is what I meant by ONLY the Prime and bacteria. Dont mess with other chemicals. Water changes water changes water changes. Test .....water changes. :D
Yep and then some more water changes..

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You just dont want to have to mess with ph the eternity of your tank. Your tap is more than likely fine, and if you lower and higher it it will kill your fish faster than the ammonia. Ph swings are really bad.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom