High ammonia no nitrite

Debv3

Reaction score
This was a mature planted 75 gallon tank. I've added prime, seachen safe and a half bottle of bacteria. Still ok??

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What do you mean by "mature planted tank". Does it have fish in it too? Or just plants? Is the high ammonia just since cleaning?

If it has been running for a while with no ammonia and suddenly had ammonia after cleaning then it would seem that you must have killed your beneficial bacteria and need to rebuild it.

Debv3

Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Is there fish?
Sorg67 said:
What do you mean by "mature planted tank". Does it have fish in it too? Or just plants? Is the high ammonia just since cleaning?

If it has been running for a while with no ammonia and suddenly had ammonia after cleaning then it would seem that you must have killed your beneficial bacteria and need to rebuild it.
Sorg67 said:

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sounds to me like you killed too much of your beneficial bacteria. Maybe when you cleaned the canister.

Prime is only good for detoxifying 1 ppm of ammonia. It appears to me that you need to do a lot of water changes to get the ammonia diluted down below 1 ppm and then follow the fish in cycle procedure. Getting down to 1 ppm from 8 ppm would about a 90% water change.

I am not personally comfortable with 90% water changes. I would do two 70% water changes or three 50% water changes. But a lot of people say a 90% water change is fine.

My understanding is that 8 ppm ammonia would be severely toxic to the fish and should be addressed by water changes ASAP. I would do whatever water changes are necessary to get down to less than 1 ppm ammonia. Treat the entire tank volume with Prime every 48 hours and continue water changes as necessary to keep the aggregate of ammonia and nitrites below 1 ppm.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How exactly did you clean the canisters? I habitually do 90%+ water changes and i have never seen ammonia even twich much less spike. What are you using to test your chemistry?

Debv3

Reaction score
NavyChief20 said:
How exactly did you clean the canisters? I habitually do 90%+ water changes and i have never seen ammonia even twich much less spike. What are you using to test your chemistry?
NavyChief20 said:
I only squeeze the sponges in the canister water. I believe I might have added to much prime, killing all the ammonia. Although the substrate was disturbed and I had ammonia readings off the charts! I'm doing more water changes and it's taking 1/2 cup of ammonia neutralizer at a time to get readings of 0.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom