High Ammonia Low Ph, Have No Idea

Joesmets
As some know about my water issues, here we go again. I have been having high ammonia and low pH for over a month. Doing massive water changes I got my readings to a respectable level:
Ammonia 0.05 ppm
pH 6.5
So I waited 6 days to do another water change, 25% on a 30 gallon tank last night. Tested this morning using liquid test kit and numbers are up again plus nitrats are at 0.0 ppm.
Ammonia 1.0 ppm
pH 6.0
Nitrites 0.00 ppm. No new fish, no live plants and no change to tank environment. If its more water changes how and when does this tank get to a good reading and stay for a bit
Thank you

Also, kH is at 0.0 PPM and gH is at 75 PPM WITH TEST STRIPS

Advertisement
Mary765
I think it's the cycle which is the issue. Did you cycle your tank? Are you using tank conditioner? What is the ammonia of your tap water?

LMO
At a pH of 6, the nitrifying bacteria will not be able to convert ammonia (really ammonium) to nitrite. Your test kit is measuring your ammonium level, which will be rising as the bacteria cannot convert it to nitrite. With 0ppm KH, your water pH can crash as KH acts as a buffer. I would try to raise this - I think added crushed coral is one way.

Advertisement
Joesmets
Yes the tank has cycled,
6 months old, 0ammonia in tap water and Prime is the conditioner I use

That crushed coral sounds good, need to see who has it around neighborhood

Well well, pH is now 7.2 and ammonia SPIKED to 4.0 ppm. Anyone want to buy a setup? Any ideas, thanks

Mary765
Plenty if water changes imo. It's not a permanent solution but a temporary one. Maybe 50% daily until further notice

Advertisement
Joesmets
That's what I thought
Thanks

DanP
@Imo hit the nail on the head. I went through the same issue. With 0 KH your PH is unstable. Without KH to keep your PH levels stable the BB will cause the ph to fall as it converts the ammonia and nitrite. This will cause the cycle to crash and the ammonia to spike. Then you do a water change and bring the PH back up. Cycle starts over again, you feel like you finally got it going and boom PH crashes and so does your cycle.

I ordered a bag of crushed coral from Amazon. I put in about 8 ounces (used a 4 ounce plastic cup to measure) in a filter bag for my 20 gallon tank. Raised my KH from 0 to 3ppm, I then added another 4oz and that brought it up to 4ppm. The PH has remained stable since I added the coral at 7.4 (about 2 months now). I will add another 4oz with this weekend's water change. Goal is to get it to 5-6 ppm.

It is important to understand that using coral to raise KH is a slow process, but much more stable then using chemicals and much healthier for your fish. The key is to add a little at a time, wait a few days and test your level, and add more as needed over several weeks until you get to your desired levels.

I haven't had a single test showing any ammonia or nitrite and my water is crystal clear since adding the coral.

Joesmets
Wow, nice real nice. Thanks for the great tip. I'll let you know

PS
What type of filter do you use, me, canister

Joesmets
Tjanks

DanP
Wow, nice real nice. Thanks for the great tip. I'll let you know
Any time. And I understand your frustration, but don't give up. It's a great feeling and very rewarding when you figure it out.

alper
Hi, all things point that your cycle has been broken. You need to use bacterial culture like seachem stabilty, tetra safe start, sera nitrivec etc. And your fishes die if your ph go up, coz it will be become poisoning form in high ph. What kind of filter do you use, what are your filter medias? And how do you clean it?

Joesmets
I use stability. I have a marine land 220 canister with purigen, matrix, and phosguard. I clean once every 5 weeks

alper
Everything looks good, how u clean them? You may kill bacterias when you cleaning your filter?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Frank the Fish guy
Replies
Views
BCole
Replies
Views
Chailyte
Replies
Views