High Ammonia Levels!!

Carrie1153

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi everyone. I have a 36 gallon tank with 3 Goldie's. My tank has cycled and all water parameters are perfect except for the ammonia. Did a 50 percent water change and vacuumed the gravel. Added ammolock and ammonia levels still climbing. Was told that strips can't tell the difference between ammonia and ammonium and fish seem fine. Should I do a more drastic water change or leave things alone. Ammonia is at 3ppm.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How big and what sort of goldfish?

You are likely overstocked, and the fish are secreting more waste than your filter can handle.

Upgrade your tank and add more robust filtration. If you can't upgrade your tank right now, add a second filter rated for a larger tank, and keep an eye on your water parameters , doing water changes as required.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What is "not large"?

Stocking for fancies is 20 gallons each.
Stocking for commons is 50 each.

Can you post the rest of your water chemistry numbers? It might shed some light.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stop water changes while using AmmoLock. It's effective, but your Ammo test will read high. Im not a goldfish person, but 3 fish of similar size to the guy in your profile pic is a tiny bioload in your 36. I would suggest to keep the AmmoLock going and retest tomorrow. If it's gone up, you've lost your cycle. If it's gone down, your cycle stalled (rare but it happens, usually due to PH or temp changes or periods with no food).

Make sure your filter can process 150gph+, and that there's nothing dead in the tank. If you don't mind cloudy water, give the foam part of your filter a squeeze to shock the bacteria back into eat/grow/reproduce mode. They need oxygen to live, and a tour around the water column can help sometimes.

Any chance you're using an undergravel filter?

Carrie1153

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi there. Just had my water tested at my LFS and ammonia levels now 6ppm! Filtering at 450 gallons p/h. Will try giving the sponge a squeeze or I could add bacteria which I have. Thanks.

maggie thecat said:
What is "not large"?

Stocking for fancies is 20 gallons each.
Stocking for commons is 50 each.

Can you post the rest of your water chemistry numbers? It might shed some light.
My Goldie's are fairly small, not even a hand full. Largest one is about 2 inches without tail. Water parameters are 180 and 120 for KH and gh, PH is 7 and nitrates and nitrites are 0.

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
goldfish produce a lot of waste - and if you are even the slightest bit overstocked you're going to have ammonia issues.

Have you done any research on the internet? tons of info out there.

Carrie1153

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi there. Going to start doing more frequent water changes and hopefully that will help. Yes I have checked the net. Just thought would get some more advice.

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What is your Ph level? How long was your tank cycled for before you added fish? How do you do your water changes? Do you allow untreated tap water to touch your filters are any time? How do you clean your filters and how often?

Carrie1153

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PH level is 7.0, tank has cycled for 5 weeks, filters are rinsed in tank water. Filters cleaned every two weeks.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
the first chance you get to switch from using strips to a liquid test kit, such as api master test kit. i would.

"best od wishes to you and you fishes" mlr

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Carrie1153 said:
Hi there. Just had my water tested at my LFS and ammonia levels now 6ppm! Filtering at 450 gallons p/h. Will try giving the sponge a squeeze or I could add bacteria which I have. Thanks.
Do both. Live bacteria cannot use dead bacteria as a surface area. A gentle squeeze will wash out any dead bacteria (and some living), and provide a surge of fresh oxygenated water to any spots that may have been plugged. Add a dose of BB right after.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom