High Ammonia? Keep Doing Water Changes?

Barch
I'm in the process of testing my tank. My tests are:

pH: 7.4-7.8
Ammonia: 0.25ppm or 0.50ppm (color is kinda right in between)
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

I used the API master kit. My pH was off the charts by using a normal pH test, so I used the high range pH test and it's around 7.4 to 7.8, can't really tell it's hard to say. Not much I can do about that though is there? Fish just adjust?

My Nitrite and Nitrate are definitely 0, maybeeeee 0.25ppm on Nitrates but it's more yellow to me so I'm gonna say 0.

I did a small 15% water change, since I had to top up my tank due to condensation anyways. Should I keep doing 15-25% changes daily until ammonia is 0?

All my fish are very active and healthy as far as I can tell.

Last question, does being lidless matter? I notice I lose a lot more water due to condensation but any other negative effects vs positive? My fish aren't jumpers. All of the tetra family and a pelco.

Thank you

bandito
heya, I just saw on your account that you are unaware of the nitrogen cycle. how long has the tank been running?

also, for tetras and a pleco the pH is just a bit too high, try aI'm for atleast the 7.1 mark

regarding having a lidless tank, it won't harm the fish however it may cause mold to grow in the areas surrounding the tank due to the increased humidity because of the amounts of condensation - where mold thrives.

Discus-Tang
Your pH is fine; it's perfectly safe. Messing with it will likely cause you bigger problems. Lidless tanks are a little annoying but still doable.

Barch
heya, I just saw on your account that you are unaware of the nitrogen cycle. how long has the tank been running?

also, for tetras and a pleco the pH is just a bit too high, try aI'm for atleast the 7.1 mark

regarding having a lidless tank, it won't harm the fish however it may cause mold to grow in the areas surrounding the tank due to the increased humidity because of the amounts of condensation - where mold thrives.

Well I can't really do much to bring down my pH, I heard the fish just have to adjust because it's based on your water source, is that right? The tanks in my living room, I'm sure I'd notice mold on our white walls start to form if anything, as of now it looks great. Thanks for letting me know.

Your pH is fine; it's perfectly safe. Messing with it will likely cause you bigger problems. Lidless tanks are a little annoying but still doable.
Hey thanks for the reply. I thought so. What about my ammonia? I tested our Betta's tank today too, he has 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, .25 ammonia, and I didn't bother testing pH, didn't see the point.

I did about a 30% water change on him

Skavatar
which filter are you running? most filters you can customize the filter media, like using poly fill, or quilt batting, and biomax ceramic rings, etc to maximize the surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize.

there are some bottled bacteria you can try to seed your tank with. there are mixed reviews/opinions on whether it actually speeds up the nitrogen cycle or not.

or you can use Seachem Prime which makes the ammonia and nitrites non toxic for about 24hrs. you'll have to use it daily until ammonia and nitrites drop to 0. I'm new to fish keeping too, did a lot of research after I bought my fish and they started dying. I can say that Prime is a life saver.

I have high ph, around 8-8.5, i've also read messing with ph can cause more harm than good.

Barch
which filter are you running? most filters you can customize the filter media, like using poly fill, or quilt batting, and biomax ceramic rings, etc to maximize the surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize.

there are some bottled bacteria you can try to seed your tank with. there are mixed reviews/opinions on whether it actually speeds up the nitrogen cycle or not.

or you can use Seachem Prime which makes the ammonia and nitrites non toxic for about 24hrs. you'll have to use it daily until ammonia and nitrites drop to 0. I'm new to fish keeping too, did a lot of research after I bought my fish and they started dying. I can say that Prime is a life saver.

Hey, on my 20 gallon I have a Marineland Pengiun 150 HOB filter with some Fuval Foam inside, as well as 2 carbon cartiages, and some water polishing foam/pad. I'm also running a single sponge filter inside the tank with a whisper pump.

My 10 gallon I just have the TopFin filter that came with it and 2 carbon packets, fuval foam, and polishing pad as well.

So if I use Prime I add it to the tank each day? I'm confused. I just do my water changes 1-2 times a week usually, add the dose of Prime for the amount of water I'm taking out (not adding it directly to tank). I usually over-add a bit but I read that it's okay to use up to 5 times the amount safely and it's never seemed to hurt my fish.

I haven't had good luck with "medicines" of any sort, I just usually do water condtioner (prime) and water changes to fix any problems. My betta was in bad shape at one point and I wasted lots of $$ on useless chemicals and but water changes and Prime were the fix.

Thanks

Skavatar
yes, the Prime only lasts about 24hours, so have to add it everyday if you have ammonia/nitrites.

do you have any live plants? they will help with the ammonia.

Hunter1
Based on your numbers, no nitrates and some ammonia, you aren’t cycled so read up on the nitrogen cycle by clicking on the blue hyperlink.

Barch
yes, the Prime only lasts about 24hours, so have to add it everyday if you have ammonia/nitrites.

do you have any live plants? they will help with the ammonia.

So should I dose the aquarium in about another 12 hours with Prime, should I do a water change too or no? Yes I have anubis and java fern

Based on your numbers, no nitrates and some ammonia, you aren’t cycled so read up on the nitrogen cycle by clicking on the blue hyperlink.

Ok thanks but what's the solution

Skavatar
at .25ppm not really necessary, since the ammonia will help feed the beneficial bacteria and keep it growing until it can match the output, and the daily Prime will keep it non-toxic. maybe a 50% water change every other day will be fine.

I noticed you joined in July, but how long have you had your tank? they usually cycle in 4-6 weeks depending on your specific tank.

Barch
at .25ppm not really necessary, since the ammonia will help feed the beneficial bacteria and keep it growing until it can match the output, and the daily Prime will keep it non-toxic. maybe a 50% water change every other day will be fine.

I noticed you joined in July, but how long have you had your tank? they usually cycle in 4-6 weeks depending on your specific tank.

I had this tank only a couple weeks. My betta I had since July but not in his current tank, and I didnt add proper filter biomedia (sponges/foam) until maybe a month ago. I didnt realize I needed biomedia I just had the carbon before.

So just do 50% changes every other day until my levels are all 0? Do I dose full 2 cap threads of Prime to the tank directly then daily, it won't hurt my fish over time?? 20 gallon so 1 thread of the cap =10 gal

For the fish
I would not even like.25 ammonia. It slowly stresses the fish..

Skavatar
yes. I used it 2 weeks straight waiting for my nitrites to drop. fish will be fine.

Barch
Okay so I did a 25% water change again today (rather do 25% daily than 50% every other day), does that work, or do larger changes every other day instead? Just repeat this until 0/0/0 on readings?

I added 20gal dose worth of Prime.

I also unburied my anubis as I was told to not bury roots, is this okay? (Pic attached)

Lastly, I added more biomedia to my filter. Got some ceramic fuval media stuff to put inside, added those at the bottom of my HOB and then put my sponge and polishing pad over them, and then lastly its filtered thru 2 carbon cartridges and don't forget I also have a sponge filter too in the tank.

Thanks for help.

Attachments

• 20180908_174321.jpg
    20180908_174321.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 20180908_174329.jpg
    20180908_174329.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 67
Skavatar
25% everyday is good. Just need to get 0/0/X nitrates don't have to be 0, just keep it below 40ppm, but the lower the better.

I don't know anything about anubis. but Pothos is good at removing nitrates b/c its a terrestrial plant.

edit: I meant nitrates don't have to be 0

Barch
25% everyday is good. Just need to get 0/0/X nitrites don't have to be 0, just keep it below 40ppm, but the lower the better.

I don't know anything about anubis. but Pothos is good at removing nitrates b/c its a terrestrial plant.

Alright thanks I'll do 25% changes and dose the tanks wirh Prime daily until I'm getting the readings you suggested.

Thank you for clearing it up for me

Hunter1
Your Anubis looks fine. Did you originally plant it too deep?

So should I dose the aquarium in about another 12 hours with Prime, should I do a water change too or no? Yes I have anubis and java fern

Ok thanks but what's the solution

Time. Water changes, TetraSafeStart.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Salem
Replies
Views
Scampy
Replies
Views
Bwood22