High Ammonia And Ph

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My 55 G goldfish tank has 4 fancies and a pleco. A little over what my stocking should be but has been like that for 4 months. Had trouble with midge flies and blood worms in tank. I had put some mosquito dunks in tank to kill the midges. It contains a bacteria only toxic to mosquitoes and midges. Next, my black moor got popeye which I’m still fighting and using Kanaplex to treat. Then I noticed my calico has curled Gill plate. That may be genetic as he has an extra piece of tail too. So I tested my tank and ammonia is 2.0. Been changing at least 50% water for last 3 days. Every evening it’s back to 2.0. Just finished again but did about 80% tonight. Tested afterwards and still at .50. Any idea what’s going on? I normally do 50% w/c on Wednesday and on Sunday do w/c and vacuum. Only swish filters in tank water when needed. Nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 20. Could the Kanaplex be doing something? Maybe mosquito dunks? I’m stumped. Oh, my PH is usually 7 or 7.5. It was 8.0 tonight.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have you tried testing you tap water to see if something has changed? I thought I was going crazy a few years back with insane nitrates even after doing a 90% water change. I checked the tap water and discovered a nitrate spike. Sigh. I now swear by Amquel Plus. Add a bit directly to the tank. You don't need to do the full dose. It will take some of the stress off you and your fish.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldiemom said:
I did test and 0 ammonia in tap. Isn’t Amquel like Prime? I already use the Prime.
The major difference is that Prime only detoxifies for 24 hours, whereas I have found that Amquel Plus does for longer. I can't say how much longer, but due to the nitrate spike we had, I switched to Amquel Plus because I didn't have to keep dosing every day. I was able to go back to weekly partial water changes.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's weird, I wouldn't be surprised if its due to the mosquito dunks - like the midges die off fouls water. Im sure you know, but doing a large-scale waterchange will help - and the removal of as much waste as possible!

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That’s what is so frustrating. Been doing w/c’s every night ...big ones and vacuuming gravel. Driving me nuts!

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldiemom said:
That’s what is so frustrating. Been doing w/c’s every night ...big ones and vacuuming gravel. Driving me nuts!
So weird. May I ask, what are you using for filtration.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldiemom said:
Ok. I thought so. I was ruling out that maybe it was due to being underfilters... but thought it wasn't the case, gladly! Just trying to eliminate all variables, so we can cross off source water, filter and cleaning.

Highly unusual, maybe consider going into your local store and asking for them to test? Could be a faulty reading, like it expired or something?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom