High Ammonia And No Nitrites-advice Needed

andym24387
Sorry if this is not supposed to be posted here but absolutely baffled as to how to start a thread as it keeps telling me I don’t have permission . But if anyone could give me some advice it would be much appreciated, so basically I have decided to turn my turtle tank in to a fish tank it’s 250 gallons been running for about 3 years with a fluval 406 filter I added the fish and had a few deaths within 24hrs so bought the API kit and found I have extremely high ammonia 8ppm 0 nitrites and 160 ppm nitrates I then found on removing plants and ornaments the turtles and left a mess behind with uneaten food which I have since removed and vacuumed, I have been doing water changes daily and can’t get the ammonia to drop

Ph is 6
Ammonia 8ppm
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 160

Fish seem happy enough now but just can’t lower the ammonia and confused by the 0 nitrites if the tank needs cycling again

Hope someone can advise

Thanks

Advertisement
Skavatar
Do you still have the turtles in the tank? They are very dirty, lots of poop.

What types of fish did you add? And how many? perhaps their bioload is much more than your turtles.

Do you have live plants? aquatic plants will help suck up some of the ammonia. Pothos can help suck up nitrates.

160 Nitrates, need to do daily water changes, atleast 50%. need to keep nitrates below 40ppm.

Would not hurt to get a big bottle of Tetra Safe Start, and a big bottle of Seachem Prime. Once your beneficial bacteria colony grows large enough to handle the ammonia, your nitrites will spike off the charts for 2-3 weeks. your fish will die w/o max dosing Prime.

looking at the specs for the Fluval 406, its only rated for 100 gallon tank. seems like you don't have enough filtration.

Advertisement
andym24387
The turtles where removed before the fish were added as they would have just eaten them , I didn’t add to many fish at the start it was just a handful of tetra two guppys and 4 Corey’s 2 Corey’s died the guppys died quiet quickly and now what’s left are swimming around looking happy , I dosed the tank tonight with fluval cycle biological enhancer , does the nitrites being at 0 show the tank is cycled but it not keeping up with ammonia that was in the tank before a vacuumed it?

Also no plants in the tank just a massive piece of wood which has been in there for years

Been doing water changes for the last few days the first one around 60+% and it’s not touching the ammonia levels or nitrates and the nitrites are staying at 0

Thanks for your reply

And sorry it’s 250 litres not gallons filter is for up to 500 litres so is more then up to the job

Hunter1
How are you testing?

andym24387
API Liquid Kit

Hunter1
I recommend continuing to do 50% water changes. And light feeding.

Your ammonia should go down in 1/2, or close to it every 50% WC you do.

Advertisement

andym24387
Well in the last 3 days it’s not dropped at all but will test again this morning will the nitrates also come down from 160ppm from water changes? is this some kind of minI cycle or is the tank in a new cycle now?

Thanks

IMG_1985.JPG

This mornings test tap water and tank water for ammonia ‍♂️ getting no results

Skavatar
was your tank cycled while you had the turtles?

give us details of what exactly happened when you removed the turtles, and added the fish.
did you add more water?
are you using a declorinator every time you add tap water?
did you clean the filter?

it would seem like your tank was cycled, but something happened and you now have a major cycle going on.

andym24387
Yes tank was cycled and was running for 2 years with no problems , removed the turtles didn’t check the water conditions and added fish thinking it would be ok to find I was completely wrong , added more water with declorinator , I gave the filter a clean but in tank water

Hunter1
Sounds like you did everything right.

Is the substrate full of old turtle poop?

Advertisement

andym24387
Removed all the plastic plants that were hiding and harbouring the waste and vacuumed the sand over the last 3 days

Cichlid 125
You need to bring up your pH.. Your water is too acidic for fish. Above 7 is better for them.. Might allow your ammonia to drop also

Skavatar
how's it testing now?

andym24387
To be honest been to 3 different shops today had different advice decided to go with a 75% water change and a full bottle of tetra safe start and for the first time the ammonia has starting coming down so will give it 24hrs and test again

Not sure if I messed up , bottle is very unclear as a matter of a fact it tells you very little , after doing the water change and adding loads of interpet dechlorinator I then added the tss straight away , from the power of google it looks like I should have waited 24hrs in between as the dechlorinator can kill the tss ? Any ideas? Another £20 bottle tomorrow?

Advertisement

Debv3
I have a 75 gallon planted tank. I did a 30 percent water change cleaning both cannister filters appropriately. I got an ammonia reading over 8ppm. NO nitrites........again a 50 percent water change with bio bacteria added and seachem safe to detoxify ammonia. Still high ammonia......let me know if you have any ideas!

FinalFins
Patience. The bacteria needs to grow.

Debv3
This was a mature planted 75 gallon tank. I've added prime, seachen safe and a half bottle of bacteria. Still ok??

FinalFins
Is there fish?

Advertisement

Sorg67
What do you mean by "mature planted tank". Does it have fish in it too? Or just plants? Is the high ammonia just since cleaning?

If it has been running for a while with no ammonia and suddenly had ammonia after cleaning then it would seem that you must have killed your beneficial bacteria and need to rebuild it.

Debv3
Is there fish?
What do you mean by "mature planted tank". Does it have fish in it too? Or just plants? Is the high ammonia just since cleaning?

If it has been running for a while with no ammonia and suddenly had ammonia after cleaning then it would seem that you must have killed your beneficial bacteria and need to rebuild it.

Debv3
It's been operating for over a year and it has three lg Angel's. Two lg. Silver dollars , three pearl gouramis and five tetras and two mature rainbow tetra. That's it. If I'm adding prime perhaps I'm nullifying the bacteria that I keep adding?

Sorg67
Sounds to me like you killed too much of your beneficial bacteria. Maybe when you cleaned the canister.

Prime is only good for detoxifying 1 ppm of ammonia. It appears to me that you need to do a lot of water changes to get the ammonia diluted down below 1 ppm and then follow the fish in cycle procedure. Getting down to 1 ppm from 8 ppm would about a 90% water change.

I am not personally comfortable with 90% water changes. I would do two 70% water changes or three 50% water changes. But a lot of people say a 90% water change is fine.

My understanding is that 8 ppm ammonia would be severely toxic to the fish and should be addressed by water changes ASAP. I would do whatever water changes are necessary to get down to less than 1 ppm ammonia. Treat the entire tank volume with Prime every 48 hours and continue water changes as necessary to keep the aggregate of ammonia and nitrites below 1 ppm.

Advertisement

Debv3
Thank you! I've been doing 40 percent and treating with seachem safe. I will up it to 50 percent! And add more bacteria!

NavyChief20
How exactly did you clean the canisters? I habitually do 90%+ water changes and I have never seen ammonia even twich much less spike. What are you using to test your chemistry?

Momgoose56
Debv3
How exactly did you clean the canisters? I habitually do 90%+ water changes and I have never seen ammonia even twich much less spike. What are you using to test your chemistry?
I only squeeze the sponges in the canister water. I believe I might have added to much prime, killing all the ammonia. Although the substrate was disturbed and I had ammonia readings off the charts! I'm doing more water changes and it's taking 1/2 cup of ammonia neutralizer at a time to get readings of 0.

Allison22

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SparkyJones
Replies
Views
pugletfan
  • Question
Replies
Views
Ir3land