High Ammonia And Nitrates But No Nitrites???

Pearl Boba

Valued Member
Reaction score
im been trying to cycle my 35 gallon planted tank and done multiple water changes for 4 weeks now. The reading is always 1ppm or above and the nitrate reading is always 5ppm or above. But there’s always 0 signs of nitrites. Why is this happening?? And how do I get it to cycle?? I can’t seem to figure this out and I rlly need some help, thanks!

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Patience sounds like you have all the types of BB just not enough to handle the Ammonia source yet. What are you using for Ammonia and have you tested your tap water?

Pearl Boba

Valued Member
Reaction score
sfsamm said:
Patience sounds like you have all the types of BB just not enough to handle the Ammonia source yet. What are you using for Ammonia and have you tested your tap water?
The ammonia is coming from my soil and yes I tested my tap water it’s 0 everything and the pH is 6.8. Also what is BB?

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Pearl Boba said:
The ammonia is coming from my soil and yes I tested my tap water it’s 0 everything and the pH is 6.8. Also what is BB?
BB = beneficial bacteria
It's the stuff you're waiting for

The lower pH can play a part in the slower cycling process but 6.8 shouldn't affect it too dramatically. If you're not adding bottled BB then you can expect the process to occur naturally in anywhere from 2-8 weeks. Continue what you're doing and it will populate in time. Try to keep your Ammonia under 4ppm as over that can actually start becoming toxic (the lower pH is actually helpful here as it starts converting to ammonium which is less toxic and still utilized by BB). It sounds like you are on the right path though!

Pearl Boba

Valued Member
Reaction score
sfsamm said:
BB = beneficial bacteria
It's the stuff you're waiting for

The lower pH can play a part in the slower cycling process but 6.8 shouldn't affect it too dramatically. If you're not adding bottled BB then you can expect the process to occur naturally in anywhere from 2-8 weeks. Continue what you're doing and it will populate in time. Try to keep your Ammonia under 4ppm as over that can actually start becoming toxic (the lower pH is actually helpful here as it starts converting to ammonium which is less toxic and still utilized by BB). It sounds like you are on the right path though!
Ah okay, so to keep ammonia down do I just keep doing water changes? And thank you so much for the info !

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom