High Ammonia And A Cloudy Water After Filter Media Change

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by SammieTheLabradoodle, Apr 10, 2017.

1. SammieTheLabradoodle

SammieTheLabradoodle Valued Member Member

Hello.

I recently added some new media in my 4 tray canister filter for my 75 gallon aquarium. I just had sponge in the first tray (bottom) followed by floss in the middle two trays and then carbon and floss in the top tray.

Last week I added ceramic rings to the 2nd tray and bioballs to the third tray. I used the floss and placed on top of each new media to keep the beneficial bacteria in the filter.

However, since the addition of this media, my water has been cloudy (it was crystal clear before) and now I have high Ammonia at 0.5 ppm. It was also low before I added the new media.

My tank has been setup for 4 months and it has gone through a cycle when I started. Am I going through another cycle? My nitrite is 0 ppm and Nitrates are at 20 ppm.

I'm concerned with the higher Ammonia and cloudy water now. I do weekly water changes of about 30 gallons.

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

You are likely going through a mini cycle because you removed some of the beneficial bacteria before you should have. Sometimes it can take weeks, for ceramic rings and bio balls to have enough BB to just remove something that hosts a large amount of bacteria, and even then from time to time you can have a mini cycle.

I would do a small water change, dose with some prime and check it again in the morning.

3. OP
    OP
    SammieTheLabradoodle

SammieTheLabradoodle Valued Member Member

I need a freshwater for dummies book. Haha. I left all the old media in the filter and added the ceramic and bio balls to it. I assumed that would be ok and not upset my filter. Well, that appears to be a mistake. I'm learning as I go.

4. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

No, you should have left the old media in there until the bio balls and ceramic caught up to it. I thought you took it out. Maybe make sure that the stuff in there isn't blocking water flow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice