high (8.4) PH level, everything else ok. Big deal?

lish839

Reaction score
HI there,

So I finally added fish, and two small frogs. I did a test of all the chemicals in the water right before I added them, and everything was perfect... except for a super high ph level. my fiance says its no big deal, but we differ on fish care, so I can't really trust him. He said high PH only matters if you are trying to bred the fish (which we are not trying to do.) I read that 7 should be what your aiming for on average. How do I lower? and should I?

I have 2 very small catfish that keep eating the shrimp pellets for my two small frogs. 4 danio zebra fish and 3 neon tetras. they are all very small and very cute!
ps. we also just added a bunch of live plants and have an abundant snail population.

Thanks for the advice, yo!

ninilie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Dont mess with the PH your fish will adjust to it. Its harder to mess with it and maintain it. Also try to add your frog pellets with the lights off this will give them a better chance at getting to them.

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stability is the key. Proper acclimation should quell any pH issues.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with the advice given about the PH...keeping it stable is more important.

What concerns me is the frogs. They're eye sight isn't very good and hunt their food by smell, as you found out the cat fish are quicker.

I'd find some way to make sure the little guys are getting food, possibly using a temporary divider and putting their food in a little dish, once you're sure they've eaten, you can remove it. I've also read of people hand feeding them (using long rounded tweezers or a turkey baster).

Good luck

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom