Hifin Sharks??? - Page 4

bolivianbaby

Good evening Jeremiah,

I moved your post to it's own thread to help you gain more responses.

Thanks

jetajockey

There's several writeups about it if you google it. The basic idea is to use a free priority box from the post office, insulate it (I prefer styrofoam). Bag the fish with a small amount of water and a large amount of air, pure o2 is best, but you can use a regular air pump line to fill the bag up. Double bag the fish which helps against leaks. Put the fish in the container and if the weather is cold, include a heat pack.

It's also cheaper to use click-n-ship online to print out your postage, if you have access to a reliable scale to weigh your package and a printer to print the postage out.

IheartMolly

thanks that's pretty cool. I wish I had paypal or something.

jetajockey

Definitely get paypal as soon as you can, it's the best and most trusted method of e-commerce so nearly every online storefront site uses it.

IheartMolly

first I need a job lmfo

harpua2002

If you're under 18, you'll need your parents' permission to use paypal and/or ship. At 31, this is a non issue for me. LOL

IheartMolly

lol I'm 21 I am good lol

harpua2002

There's several writeups about it if you google it. The basic idea is to use a free priority box from the post office, insulate it (I prefer styrofoam). Bag the fish with a small amount of water and a large amount of air, pure o2 is best, but you can use a regular air pump line to fill the bag up. Double bag the fish which helps against leaks. Put the fish in the container and if the weather is cold, include a heat pack.

It's also cheaper to use click-n-ship online to print out your postage, if you have access to a reliable scale to weigh your package and a printer to print the postage out.

You can also print labels for flat rate boxes with Click and Ship. You just need to register for an account with USPS (it is free). The flat rate labels are also cheaper to print yourself.

When you register for a usps account, you also have the option to order free Priority Mail boxes. They just drop them off at your house. It is so easy. There are lots of sizes to choose from (although you will need a scale to use some of them).

Kathy Potts

And here is a link to a thread that I posted here at FishLore.

I need to check out jeta's too!!

RogueAgent94

So I'm shipping some Water Lettuce to a member here on the forum. Last two shippings didn't go as well as I hoped but the plants seemed to have turned around. It was perfect shipping weather yesterday but today it's all dreary and cold. Each plant was packed individually in sandwich bags with some damp paper towels wrapped around its roots to keep the roots from drying and the core of the plant from getting too wet.

Any comments on how to ship them or how I can do something better are appreciated.

gourami88

I would use foam to insulate, or at the very least double box them with a good 1-2" layer of peanuts or crumpled newspaper between the boxes.

RogueAgent94

Usually I only use foam to insulate when the temperature is below freezing. I would have added a heat pack if I had one on hand but I didn't. Since the temps are still pretty good it really isn't necessary, IMO. There's a lot of newspaper to insulate some what.

Dogfishead

The paper around the roots didnt work so well on some that I got. The roots were all pulled off by the weight of the wet paper towel. The plants all bounced back but it seemed like the point of the wet paper towels was lost.

RogueAgent94

Good point. I never thought about that. Now that I consider it the water lettuce does have softer roots so it could loose roots quickly. I've mostly shipped stronger rooted plants like Amazon Swords and Anubias. But they have to be completely encased in paper towel to keep water on the leaves. The water lettuce rot if there is water on the leaves. Perhaps filling it with humid air may help more than having water in there.

GemstonePony

I sold all my water lettuce recently, went to 2 people.
1st time: wrapped wet paper towels around roots to keep roots wet and leaves dry, air in bag.
result: all roots reportedly lost
2nd time, 2 approaches:
a) smaller lettuces with small roots- I put loose in a bag and filled with humid air: I hoped whatever water was in there would keep the roots from drying out and hopefully the leaves wouldn't rot.
b)large lettuces with long roots- all roots in wet paper towels, dry paper towels stuffed into their "crowns" so they wouldn't move around and lose their roots.
result: reported plants looked "good". said nothing of root loss, but since root loss was expected this probably means it happened.
don't know if this helps or not. I would just say "expect root loss, plant will bounce back", because I haven't found a way to prevent it.

Aquarist

The link above also says to use news paper or paper towels.

What if you used a small piece of damp sponge inserted into the zip lock bag. Keep the plant wrapped in the paper towel and add a note to remove the paper towel carefully?

Ken

fbn

Wait, what's the Trident use for shipping ?

If the plants are small, why not just put a small amount of water in a sealed bag? If the bag is sealed completely shut, wouldn't this keep the inside of the bag humid and wet?

If that method would work, I would recommend getting the sandwich bags that have double seals to be safe!

Akari_32

I just got my plants from Harpua, and there was about a 1/2 inch of water in tied off fish bags (they had just enough air in them to keep the plants from getting squished should the box have gotten abused). They all arrived safe and sound after 5 days in the box.

GemstonePony

Akari, i'm willling to bet that all the plants you grew submerged? The problem with water lettuce is that if the leaves get wet, they rot.

Everythingzen

What if you loosely tied a thin, cheap freezer bag around the base of the stems, not tight enough the break the plant but tight enough to be firm, and then filled the bottom of another freezer bag with a little water and then tied that bag around the padding you've made with the first bag. It won't be 100% water tight, but it ought to hold on if you mark the box as fragile and keep upright etc. And then pack this in a snap lock bag and pack around it so it doesn't fall over I transit (hopefully).

harpua2002

It won't be kept upright, I'm quite sure.

Gemstone, when I shipped the water lettuce to you initially, I put some small plants in a bag with a little bit of water. How did it look when it showed up?

jerilovesfrogs

I was one of the recipients of the water lettuce from gemstone. sadly, I can't remember how she packed mine lol. but yes, there was some root loss....and they seemed angry at first...but then bounced back nicely. so i'm not sure if there is one right way to ship these...

RogueAgent94

Thanks for all the responses!! I just tried shipping some again. This time I have them in a double snap ziplock with all four sides lined with damp paper towels. No other water in it to speak of. Not much air either. Just enough to keep the sides off the water lettuce. We'll see what happens this time .

GemstonePony

It won't be kept upright, I'm quite sure.

Gemstone, when I shipped the water lettuce to you initially, I put some small plants in a bag with a little bit of water. How did it look when it showed up?
the small ones(with no fuzz on their leaves) ship quite nicely, the ones that had fuzzy leaves rotted a bit and took a while to come back.

Akari_32

Just thought I'd share on how I got my water lettuce's to and from college! I soaked a paper towel in tank water, folded it up to fit a plastic zippy sandwich bag, and just set the plants on top of the paper towel. They were like that for two days, and they made it great. No dead spots, and no lost roots.

I meant to post this earlier, but I totally forgot!

KittyFish62

How do I ship fish? Do I just put them in a plastic container and a box?

ScuttleGecc

Not experienced at it, but packing it around the container/bag would help with not being shaken around, which would help

fissh

What kind of fish? How big is the fish? Are you planning to use USPS, or fed ex, or ups? How far is the fish going, and is it hot or cold were your shipping it ?

KittyFish62

Well, I might sell my goldfish that I have, and I live in a hot area.

fissh

How big is the fish? And if you drop it off at the post office or wait until the weather gets a little cooler, you should be OK. You would want to use a flat rate box, and line it with insulation, If you have any access to oxygen you full a plastic bag with oxygen and tie it shut with a rubber band. If you can't get oxygen, use a fish breather bag.

KittyFish62

The fish are 2-3 inches

BittenByTheBug

I just received a fish through the mail. The fish was not fed for three days prior to shipping so they don't poop all over their shipping water and smother to death in transit. It was bagged, with oxygen added to the bag. Then bagged again, then the outside bag was taped down. This was all put in a cardboard box that was lined with some kind of styrofoam with silver(?) lining facing out which is excellent at keeping excess heat out. Any extra space was filled with packing peanuts. Then giant orange stickers with "LIVE FISH handle with care" were slapped all around the box with arrows indicating which way was up. It was shipped via FedEx 2 day air. I live in Seattle, and my fish came from Brooklyn, NY healthy, happy and full of vigor!

Btw: FedEx does not like receiving live animals at their facilities for pick up. They will threaten to ship it back. Luckily, mine did not get shipped back and I was able to just pick it up.

fissh

Sounds like the shipper knew what they were doing.

BittenByTheBug

Yeah, they were very professional.

corydoralover120

I'm getting a 40 gallon breeder. A fish shop about 5 hours away has pairs of apistos and other dwarf cichlids. Will they be okay to travel this far? Will they fight in the bag?

lfabb

If the shop is reputable and backs their fish up with a guarantee regarding DOA then I don't see an issue. I live in NJ and shipped a fish from Oregon.

corydoralover120

Yeah, I'm just nervous since they have a no guarantees policy. The variety they offer might be worth it though.

Shel

Have they shipped fish before? I'd want to ask how they go about shipping the fish, so you at least know if they know their stuff. If there's an issue on their temperament, I'd request that they be individually bagged.

lfabb

Yeah, I'm just nervous since they have a no guarantees policy. The variety they offer might be worth it though.

If they don't have guarantees then I personally wouldn't trust them. What type of fish are you looking for?

Sorry I didn't realize you posted it. I've bought cichlids from here online and they're great. As long as the fish are shipped overnight they're guaranteed.

wet spot

corydoralover120

Unfortunately I live in NZ, which is the reason I'm going to ship from them in the first place, since it's the only place I can find paired cichlids. If they get split up for transit, will they repair in my tank?

Histi

Hey! Where abouts you getting the fish from? I might be closer?

corydoralover120

I think Tauranga.

TheFishGirl

I just bought a 'mystery box' off of aquabid. Never purchased fish online before, this account hasn't had any negative reviews and they're coming from HawaiI and the person stated in the email that if I do priority mail (which was the only thing he offered, that I found, in the auction description) then he wouldn't cover DOA — so there's some fine print — unless I paid him $50 total while original cost of the auction was only $20

Looking up HawaiI to my northern New England state it claims priority mail should only take 2 to 3 days ... I guess my question is if guppies stand a chance at 3 days. I really don't want to pay $50 for a mystery box of 3 guppies that I don't even know the color / gender / strain ... I just wanted to dip my toes in buying off aquabid / online and thought I got a cheap deal seeing it also includes a mystery gift as well.

Has anyone else experienced shipping fish?

NavigatorBlack

I have bought online. The breeder has to be open, with no games or mysteries.

I never buy unless the night-time temperatures are above 10c,and the daytime below 25c.

Remember that the number one thing a scammer looks for in a victI'm is someone who wants mysterious quality cheap.

If I were paying those prices, I would want photos of the actual fish, and good, clear information.

TheFishGirl

I have bought online. The breeder has to be open, with no games or mysteries.

I never buy unless the night-time temperatures are above 10c,and the daytime below 25c.

Remember that the number one thing a scammer looks for in a victI'm is someone who wants mysterious quality cheap.

If I were paying those prices, I would want photos of the actual fish, and good, clear information.

Yeah normally I wouldn't want to buy without pictures but all his reviews are really good and they said his 'mystery' fish were better than they expected so thought I'd take the gamble just never expected the 'oh yeah you'll need to pay $50 for full coverage' tbh I'm only paying the $20 cause that's ridiculous. I could have bought an actual pretty decent breeding quality trio for $50 / $60

allllien

They should survive 3 days in transit ok (if your postal services are generally reliable anyway). Post pics when they arrive, it will be interesting to see what you get Not sure how you pay on aquabid as I'm in Australia so can't use them, but don't forget if you pay with paypal you automatically get buyer protection, so even if something arrives dead you can open up a paypal case and they'll refund you (eventually) as they always take the buyers side, just take a photo in the unopened bag if any are DOA.

TheFishGirl

They should survive 3 days in transit ok (if your postal services are generally reliable anyway). Post pics when they arrive, it will be interesting to see what you get Not sure how you pay on aquabid as I'm in Australia so can't use them, but don't forget if you pay with paypal you automatically get buyer protection, so even if something arrives dead you can open up a paypal case and they'll refund you (eventually) as they always take the buyers side, just take a photo in the unopened bag if any are DOA.

I did do PayPal!! My mail service is good, never had something late. I'll definitely post pictures / video I'm curious I mean his reviews were really good that's why I took the gamble we'll see!

TheFishGirl

My aquabid purchase finally came! They sent me 6 instead of 3 (the original purchase number). Have to say the packaging wasn't great and the post office almost lost them but a week later and all 6 are doing great! Here's a video of them before they went into their tank

allllien

Well that's a nice surprise

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Kribensis27
Replies
Views
col7on
Replies
Views