Hifin Sharks??? - Page 3

Kathy Potts

You could sell them online you can do it here on the BST or aquabid is another good place to sell them

What is the BST? - What is that and where do I find it?

Treefork

Yeah you should check out Aquabid.com people sell fish on there all the time. Several people here do too. That's where I just got my new fish.

Kathy Potts

Yeah you should check out Aquabid.com people sell fish on there all the time. Several people here do too. That's where I just got my new fish.

Did you get your fish from here or Aquabid?

Treefork

Aquabid.com

It's sort of like an eBay for fish. It's pretty neat.

Kathy Potts

I have never shipped, but I am thinking seriously about offering them for free if the other party would pay for the expense of shipping and handling.

Chris123

What is the BST? - What is that and where do I find it?

The BST stands for Buy Sell and Trade

Heres a link

Kathy Potts

Where would I get the supplies for shipping?

Treefork

I think you can get them from most of the online fish supply websites that they have listed on here.

EDIT: In fact they are right above the first post of this message. (and any message you look at.)

jetajockey

you can get the packing supplies from officemax or officedepot. You can get boxes from the post office for free (flat rate boxes). You can get breather bags, bag buddies, etc from some LFS or from aquabid, or kens fish

Kathy Potts

you can get the packing supplies from officemax or officedepot. You can get boxes from the post office for free (flat rate boxes). You can get breather bags, bag buddies, etc from some LFS or from aquabid, or kens fish

Even if I give a bunch of the fish away, wouldn't it cost the other person a lot to have them shipped? I have never purchased fish either thru shipping.

Treefork

It depends on what type of shipping and where. I used express shipping to have fish shipped to me from MissourI to Indiana, it cost $24.00 and he shipped them on Monday afternoon, I got them Tuesday at 10:45 am.

Kathy Potts

Very cool!! You think I could find some people that would want the fish for free and just pay expenses? My supper is getting cold........ I will be back in a short while......

jetajockey

this link has some good info on how to ship fish.

It really depends on how much it costs you to send them. Small fish are cheap to send but larger ones can get expensive. The most cost efficient way I've seen so far is by using flat rate boxes , so it would just depend on how many you could safely fit in it.

Treefork

Yeah I'm sure there are people out there that would take your fish for the cost of shipping, just have to find them. Advertise in the BST and see. You can also try craigslist for local people who may be interested.

Kathy Potts

navyscuba, did you get my reply? I am new at this and don't know if I am doing things correctly?

navyscuba

Got it.
;D

Kathy Potts

Got it.
;D

Are you a breeder? I will make you a deal........ Peacocks are free if you think you could eventually help me find a way to sell my angels.

navyscuba

Are you a breeder? I will make you a deal........ Peacocks are free if you think you could eventually help me find a way to sell my angels.

Kathy, yes I breed africans and Angelfish. Hehehe What type of Angels do you have?

Kathy Potts

Kathy, yes I breed africans and Angelfish. Hehehe What type of Angels do you have?

Big ones
Medium ones
Little ones
Anywhere in between

I have a few pics posted of them..........

navyscuba

Big ones
Medium ones
Little ones
Anywhere in between

I have a few pics posted of them..........

All of the above......

JRC3

Shipping fish would scare my a bit....

Just kidding of course.

Kathy Potts

Shipping fish would scare my a bit....

Just kidding of course.

Maybe they should try this method

The recipient to that box :console: and to whatever was in it :console:

Anybody ever feel that is kinda the way life is sometimes

FriendsNotFood

Move to Australia and I'll take 4 or 5 peacocks!

Kathy Potts

Move to Australia and I'll take 4 or 5 peacocks!

Sufferer of MTS and MFLPS.
Multiple Tank Syndrome and Multiple FishLore Posting Syndrome.

I'm addicted to fish and peoples stories about them!

Great post!!!!

I still have excess Peacocks and just asked hubby if we could move to Australia. Hang out the sign, just in case he says "Yes!"

The first pic is the daddy peacock and the second is the mom.

jetajockey

As the time draws near, I plan to prepare myself to be able to ship fish. I foresee myself shipping quite a bit in the near future so I'm trying to get a good head start.

I've received several fish in the mail so I have an idea of how to pack them.

What kind of materials am I going to need if I plan on shipping several packages?

I know I'll need styrofoam for insulation.

I'm unsure about what size boxes to get from the post office. The fish I'm sending are all going to be juveniles/young adults no bigger than 1 1/2 - 2".

I guess I should get a printer, so I can print out shipping labels?

I *might* have access to an O2 tank, so I can use the old school polybag + pure o2 method. This sounds safer to me since I can double bag in case of leakage, I don't know if I want to gamble with breather bags.

No-DOA guarantees? I'm guessing it's safest not to offer this at all with the exception of express shipping?

Any suggestion on methods to employ to make sure that I'm not getting scammed into a refund? (Might be better to PM these, if you have any)

Any help or input is much appreciated!

Butterfly

I just shipped kribs from Arkansas to Idaho and all survived. Whew!
We get meds in small Styrofoam containers at work.
So I shipped four fish in each of two bags. 1/2 tank water and 1/2 fresh water. wrapped in bubble wrap and packed in the Styrofoam box. sent priority mail. All arrived well and healthy
Carol

jetajockey

I've got a few of those medical grade styro containers that I plan to use.

I have hundreds of fish to move in the next few months so I am trying to be well prepared, I'm going to go ahead and order the bags and other shipping supplies that I can't get locally.

Kathy Potts

Do you have to put the styro boxes inside of a plain cardboard box?

Don't know if this will help, but you might want to check out this link:

jetajockey

Thanks Kathy. I'm trying to compile information to get the best method of shipping fish that way it's less trial and error on my part.

harpua2002

I buy sheets of foam insulation from Home Depot. I just cut the pieces to fit inside each box. They don't seem to stock my favorite boxes at the post office, so I order mine from usps.com. It's free. I like the 7x7x6 boxes for shipping small fish, and I like the 12x12x8 for larger fish. If you have a postal scale, you can save yourself (and your customers) money by shipping by weight rather than using flat rate boxes- it is almost always cheaper. It is cheaper to print postage labels online than it is to buy them in person.

As far as bagging and shipping, you'll want to use as little water as possible. Fish are much more likely to die from lack of oxygen than from water parameters. Before I got my oxygen tank I shipped 1/3 water and 2/3 air. It's less of an issue now that I have an oxygen tank. You can buy one from a welding supply company and get the regulator from a medical supply company.

I double bag all fish and plants. I have a variety of sizes of fish bags that I use. 2 mil thickness is good for smaller fish- they can get stuck in the folds of the 3 mil bags. 3 mil bags are great if you're shipping something a little bigger.

That's all I can really think of for now. Let me know if you have any questions about anything!

jetajockey

I buy sheets of foam insulation from Home Depot. I just cut the pieces to fit inside each box. They don't seem to stock my favorite boxes at the post office, so I order mine from usps.com. It's free. I like the 7x7x6 boxes for shipping small fish, and I like the 12x12x8 for larger fish. If you have a postal scale, you can save yourself (and your customers) money by shipping by weight rather than using flat rate boxes- it is almost always cheaper. It is cheaper to print postage labels online than it is to buy them in person.
I was going to ask you personally about that. I noticed that you prefer to ship weight vs flat rate. I have a postage scale already, I bought one to divide up my bulk fish food for individual bagging.

7x7x6 sounds good to me. What is a guesstimated weight on that?

As far as bagging and shipping, you'll want to use as little water as possible. Fish are much more likely to die from lack of oxygen than from water parameters. Before I got my oxygen tank I shipped 1/3 water and 2/3 air. It's less of an issue now that I have an oxygen tank. You can buy one from a welding supply company and get the regulator from a medical supply company.
I *think* my dad had a welding setup with acetylene and oxygen tanks, I'm going to go check tomorrow in storage and see if it's still there, someone may have gotten it though. Either way, I'm going to get a tank if needed.

Now that you are using o2 how much water to air ratio do you use?

I double bag all fish and plants. I have a variety of sizes of fish bags that I use. 2 mil thickness is good for smaller fish- they can get stuck in the folds of the 3 mil bags. 3 mil bags are great if you're shipping something a little bigger.

Everything I am shipping is going to be juvenile, all smaller species, ebrs, gudgeons, corys, danios, etc. I reckon I should go with the 2mil bags. I was planning to order the 3 mil but I didn't know about the fish getting stuck in the folds.

Also, what size 2mil bags do you use? I'm guessing the 4" x18" are the best, but they have a ton of options.

Thanks for all your help!

Kathy Potts

How do you choose who to ship them by?

harpua2002

I was going to ask you personally about that. I noticed that you prefer to ship weight vs flat rate. I have a postage scale already, I bought one to divide up my bulk fish food for individual bagging.

7x7x6 sounds good to me. What is a guesstimated weight on that?

I *think* my dad had a welding setup with acetylene and oxygen tanks, I'm going to go check tomorrow in storage and see if it's still there, someone may have gotten it though. Either way, I'm going to get a tank if needed.

Now that you are using o2 how much water to air ratio do you use?

Everything I am shipping is going to be juvenile, all smaller species, ebrs, gudgeons, corys, danios, etc. I reckon I should go with the 2mil bags. I was planning to order the 3 mil but I didn't know about the fish getting stuck in the folds.

Also, what size 2mil bags do you use? I'm guessing the 4" x18" are the best, but they have a ton of options.

Thanks for all your help!

My postal scale only goes up to 5 lbs, so anything above that and I'm standing in line at the post office, lol. If you're shipping all small fish, this is almost never going to be an issue for you. Generally, the 7x7x6 box weighs up to 2 lbs or a teeny bit more if it's very full. Often, it's less. Once you do enough shipping, you'll be able to estimate the weight before you pack and the postage calculator on usps.com is really helpful there.

You don't need an O2 tank by any means, and I didn't have any issues before I got it, but for me it is a great peace of mind. I am confident in shipping more sensitive fish now too. I still do about 1/3 and 2/3, although sometimes it is closer to half and half. With O2 in those shipping bags I know they won't be running out of O2 over a 2-3 day trip if packed well. For my little fish, I use either 4x12 bags or 6x12 bags, each 2 mil. The 4's are really pretty small so I use them mostly for plants. The 6's are great for small fish IMO.

Oh BTW, the Priority boxes are kind of slow getting to you, like maybe a week or more, so the sooner you create an account there and put your order in, the better!

jetajockey

My postal scale only goes up to 5 lbs, so anything above that and I'm standing in line at the post office, lol. If you're shipping all small fish, this is almost never going to be an issue for you. Generally, the 7x7x6 box weighs up to 2 lbs or a teeny bit more if it's very full. Often, it's less. Once you do enough shipping, you'll be able to estimate the weight before you pack and the postage calculator on usps.com is really helpful there.

You don't need an O2 tank by any means, and I didn't have any issues before I got it, but for me it is a great peace of mind. I am confident in shipping more sensitive fish now too. I still do about 1/3 and 2/3, although sometimes it is closer to half and half. With O2 in those shipping bags I know they won't be running out of O2 over a 2-3 day trip if packed well. For my little fish, I use either 4x12 bags or 6x12 bags, each 2 mil. The 4's are really pretty small so I use them mostly for plants. The 6's are great for small fish IMO.

Oh BTW, the Priority boxes are kind of slow getting to you, like maybe a week or more, so the sooner you create an account there and put your order in, the better!

Sounds great. I'll order some right now.

LyndaB

This is such a timely topic for me. If my kribs keep going at it like rabbits, I'm going to have to learn to ship darn quick.

Since I do not have an oxygen tank, what do you guys think about the breather bags?

jetajockey

I've heard horror stories about the breather bags leaking out, they are a very thin material. Some people double bag with them, which reduces effectiveness, but seems to help with that issue.

That being said, I've received several fish and shrimp in single bagged breather bags and haven't had a problem.

jerilovesfrogs

the breather bags are thin....but I tried to see how hard i'd have to pull to tear one, and it was pretty hard.....it took more pulling than one might think. I have received some things in those with no issues. I also have breather bags for shipping out my snails.

but if a little bag is going to be riding in an insulated box, and not touched or pulled along the way......the bags should be safe just sitting there right? idk lol

jetajockey

the breather bags are thin....but I tried to see how hard i'd have to pull to tear one, and it was pretty hard.....it took more pulling than one might think. I have received some things in those with no issues. I also have breather bags for shipping out my snails.

but if a little bag is going to be riding in an insulated box, and not touched or pulled along the way......the bags should be safe just sitting there right? idk lol

I would think so, possibly leak test the bag beforehand for a few hours while prepping the fish for travel just to be safe. Only other issue is sharp fins, like on catfish.

One of my concerns was after receiving my group of black corys and losing a couple, was that they might need some air space to gulp air if needed.

However after some research I think the most likely issue was self poisoning.

When I start sending out shrimp or any really small fry I am likely going to use breather bags.

LyndaB

For me, it would only be krib fry or, if my killies ever breed to excess, some of their fry.

So, the next question would be, what is a good source to buy bags from?

So, I've got each of you down for 50 krib fry, right?

jetajockey

haha. If I had room.

I was going to say aquabid, but after looking on there, the prices are ridiculous (especially shipping), so I'd go with kensfish.com , and buy some food while you are on there

harpua2002

I would think so, possibly leak test the bag beforehand for a few hours while prepping the fish for travel just to be safe. Only other issue is sharp fins, like on catfish.

One of my concerns was after receiving my group of black corys and losing a couple, was that they might need some air space to gulp air if needed.

However after some research I think the most likely issue was self poisoning

When I start sending out shrimp or any really small fry I am likely going to use breather bags.

I've heard about this as well. We had a cory expert come speak at one of our club meetings, and he gave us some shipping tips that pertain specifically to corys. When you catch the fish out of the tank, tap on the container and stress them out. Give them a few minutes to release those toxins, then strain out the water through a net and replace with tank water. At that point you can go ahead and bag. It always makes me feel bad to stress corys intentionally, but I'm happy to say I haven't lost a single one in transit.

Breather bags are good for fry or shrimp. I don't use them for anything else.

jetajockey

I've heard about this as well. We had a cory expert come speak at one of our club meetings, and he gave us some shipping tips that pertain specifically to corys. When you catch the fish out of the tank, tap on the container and stress them out. Give them a few minutes to release those toxins, then strain out the water through a net and replace with tank water. At that point you can go ahead and bag. It always makes me feel bad to stress corys intentionally, but I'm happy to say I haven't lost a single one in transit.

Breather bags are good for fry or shrimp. I don't use them for anything else.

That's a good idea. I could just net them and sit them in my kids room for about 30 seconds, they'll be plenty stressed.

Butterfly

I do double bag. Turn one bag upside down in the other. Seems to round the corners out.
Carol

harpua2002

I do double bag. Turn one bag upside down in the other. Seems to round the corners out.
Carol

That's exactly what I do too.

Kathy Potts

What about shipping angelfish?

Danionins

Carol
Same here!

Dennis

fbn

shipped with a 5.5x8 in Kordon Breather bag full of water was 1lb and 15.1oz

Ram49

Carol

I have found triple bags before. The seller must be really cautious.

IheartMolly

how do you ship fish jeta? or anyone that can answer?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Kribensis27
Replies
Views
col7on
Replies
Views
Wildside
Replies