Hiding Male Platy

1. S

Sianiieee New Member Member

I have a 19l tank which I contains 2 variatus platys. Just realised one is a female and one is a male. The male has been hiding in the plants since I moved them into the tank yesterday. Although the female is swimming around happily. The tanks water levels are fine, I've tested them. I introduced the fish into the tank properly, and everything seems to be running fine. I just don't know why he's hiding? Any ideas? Could he just be shy or scared?

2. L

Landos Well Known Member Member

Perhaps the tank is too small and the male is stressed. 5 gallons is too small for platties.

3. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Definitely too small for live bearers esp with 1 male and 1 female. You'll need a 20g minimum with 30g prefered if they're going to be constantly having babies

4. OP
    OP
    S

Sianiieee New Member Member

I was told by the pet shop that I could fit 4 Platys in there when I bought them. What is your advice?

5. L

Landos Well Known Member Member

A 5gal is good for a betta and some snails/shrimps. You can make a very interesting tank with them

6. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Stores are known for giving incorrect information so don't fret, you're not alone.

I would either rehome them, return them to the store, or upgrade your tank