Hiding Male Platy

1. Sianiieee Initiate Member

I have a 19l tank which I contains 2 variatus platys. Just realised one is a female and one is a male. The male has been hiding in the plants since I moved them into the tank yesterday. Although the female is swimming around happily. The tanks water levels are fine, I've tested them. I introduced the fish into the tank properly, and everything seems to be running fine. I just don't know why he's hiding? Any ideas? Could he just be shy or scared?

2. Landos Well Known Member Member

Perhaps the tank is too small and the male is stressed. 5 gallons is too small for platties.

3. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Definitely too small for live bearers esp with 1 male and 1 female. You'll need a 20g minimum with 30g prefered if they're going to be constantly having babies

4. Sianiieee Initiate Member

I was told by the pet shop that I could fit 4 Platys in there when I bought them. What is your advice?

5. Landos Well Known Member Member

A 5gal is good for a betta and some snails/shrimps. You can make a very interesting tank with them

6. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Stores are known for giving incorrect information so don't fret, you're not alone.

I would either rehome them, return them to the store, or upgrade your tank