Hiding & losing color, Is my Harlequin Rasbora sick?

rkeehn547

Hey everyone, after I did my weekly water change today I counted my fish and found that one of my harlequin rasboras was missing. I have 5 of them in the tank that usually school around together at all times. After searching for a few minutes, I found that it was hiding under a rock/cave decoration. When I lifted up the decoration, the fish quickly came out and hid behind a plant. I also noticed that the bottom of the rasbora was losing some color. After a few minutes of hiding behind the plant, it’s color started to come back and it went back to schooling with the other rasboras. I’ve had this tank running for around 8 months now and I’ve never seen this behavior before with any of my fish, and I haven’t had any of them hide. The tank is 20 gallons btw and my parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20ppm nitrate. I have a another small tank that I can temporarily set up for a quarantine tank. Should I move the fish into a quarantine tank or just keep on eye on it for a few days? Thanks

JuDom

Hey everyone, after I did my weekly water change today I counted my fish and found that one of my harlequin rasboras was missing. I have 5 of them in the tank that usually school around together at all times. After searching for a few minutes, I found that it was hiding under a rock/cave decoration. When I lifted up the decoration, the fish quickly came out and hid behind a plant. I also noticed that the bottom of the rasbora was losing some color. After a few minutes of hiding behind the plant, it’s color started to come back and it went back to schooling with the other rasboras. I’ve had this tank running for around 8 months now and I’ve never seen this behavior before with any of my fish, and I haven’t had any of them hide. The tank is 20 gallons btw and my parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20ppm nitrate. I have a another small tank that I can temporarily set up for a quarantine tank. Should I move the fish into a quarantine tank or just keep on eye on it for a few days? Thanks
If I had to guess based on the information you’ve given, I think it just got spooked. I’ve seen my harlequins’ black patch almost completely fade on my trip home from my LFS.

I mean even humans go pale during stressful situations. :rolleyes:

So long as it colored back up and doesn’t exhibit any other unusual behavior, I wouldn’t be concerned. Hope this helps. :D

SamMe

Since it's color came back and it started schooling again, I would just keep an eye on it for a couple of days. I just love my harlequins. :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Leeman75
Replies
Views
Aquaticguy
Replies
Views
Daisy007
Replies
Views