Hi!

1. Algae Eater Well Known Member Member

Hi everybody,

I've been into the fish hobby since I was little and I've had 10g tanks off and on since then. Now, for the first time, I'm graduating to a 55g! Even though I've been into fish keeping for so long, I'd still consider myself a beginner because I never did a lot of upkeep besides cleaning out the tank when it got dirty. This time around, I've done a lot of research because a 55g tank is not something I want to "clean out when it gets dirty" because I didn't test the water, etc..

If there is anything I should know about owning a big tank as opposed to a little one, let me know! I'll say in advance that I'm thankful for the internet and appreciate all the advice I'll get from all of you!

P.S Yes, I know I spelled "algae" wrong and I'm embarrassed...

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to Fishlore. Your water parameters are actually going to be more steady in the 55, so great upgrade! :;bananaslide

do you know what you want to stock? when are you starting? Lol... i feel like a kid with a million questions. :whistling:

3. Algae Eater Well Known Member Member

Thanks!

I'm supposed to be getting the tank for Christmas, so I'll start around then if I actually get it. If not, I'll have to go out and get one myself because I'm too excited to wait any longer!

I'd like to get 2 pairs of Rams, a school of Colombian blue flame tetras, another school of smaller tetras (not sure yet), and some cory catfish. I'm afraid the first two might not get along, though, because I've heard that Colombians are a frisky bunch and Rams are shy. But then I've heard others say the opposite lol...

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want! Nobody else in my house appreciates my hobby.

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore! I like the stock list you're considering. Let us know however we can help.

5. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I also like your stock list. I think it's very doable in a 55. You could even try a pair of rams and a pair of apistogramma, or blue rams with Bolivian rams, etc. I also like seeing the Colombian tetras on your list- they are a beautiful fish that gets overlooked a lot because they don't display much color at the pet store. Once you get them home, though, it's a different story. A couple of mine are so colorful, their bodies appear almost purple. Mine are definitely frisky, but they do fine in a community tank.

For your other tetra school, I'd suggest green fire, lemon, Von Rio, cardinal, or rummynose tetras for a nice splash of color. :)

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

how are you making a filter? I am asking because we have another member, Hitchhiker, who is also not setting up his tank until after Christmas (his new tank is going to go where his tree currently is). He went ahead and got his filter set up in a bucket and has started feeding it an ammonia source so that he can seed/cycle it. His hope is that by the time he gets the tank set up, he'll already have it cycled, or at least close.

I see you are familiar with the nitrogen cycle - are you familiar with fishless cycling?

7. Algae Eater Well Known Member Member

I’ll look into your suggestions, thanks! I just saw some Colombians today at the LFS and they were beautiful. I can’t wait to get them! I’m leaning towards Cardinals or lemons for the second school. I was also thinking maybe some Angels. I don’t know, I don’t want to overstock.

Haha… my tank is also going where the tree is! That’s a good idea. Maybe I’ll try cycling the filter, too. I found a website that shows how to make a trickle filter in a five gallon bucket with a pond pump. I can’t seem to find the exact website, but here is a similar one. Mine is going to have activated carbon in it, too. I’m just trying to figure out how I want to do the pump, tubes and intake/output in the tank. I don’t want 55 gallons of water on my floor!

I’m familiar with the nitrogen cycle and I read the article here about the two common methods of fishless cycle. But I wonder, do plants in a tank without fish affect that cycle, if at all?

Thank you everybody for your well wishes!

8. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I don't have live plants so I can't answer that. However, since you are embarassed about your misspelled name, there's an easy way to fix that,

Go to the top of the page, click on my settings, then my settings again. There's a list of all the things you can edit, and the last item allows you to request a new username. As long as the name you want isn't already used (or profane), Mike, the creator of this forum, will go ahead and c hange it for you within a few days.

9. Algae Eater Well Known Member Member

I submitted a new username with the correct spelling of "algae", hopefully nobody has it already. If so, I think I'll just leave it. I'll live. Thanks for the info!

10. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the site. You will find that this forum is a bottomless pit of info. :D