hi!

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
sorry to jump straight into "crisis help" forum before introducing myself! i'm having a bit of a flap!  ??? I came across this website trying to find diagnosis and cure for my fish! I am completely new at the whole fishy thing. my son went into anaphylactic shock with furry creatures, so decided fish would be the households new pets. I foolishly thought it was foolproof. did some reading up. got 60 litre  tank all set up according to instructions. read about the nitrogen cycle. bought a test kit. use it most days. done 16% water changes every 3-4 days. after a week got 5 guppies. once they've settled in I thought i'd get some more fish and add a few more plants in a few weeks....do it all gradually....however, as guppies poorly with unknown disease that's on hold. i'm not subjecting any new fish to a diseased aquarium! any suggestions on what fish to add next (once the guppies are happy fish again)? anything a new to fishy friends person needs to know? I don't know anyone with an aquarium, so i'm relying solely on books and internet! i'm also quite new to the whole forum thing too, and therefore rubbish at the abbreviations that get used!! 

Just had a wonder around the forum. I'm amazed at how many people there are and the cross section! a lot of newbies like me, but also those that have been doing the fish thing for years and have several tanks and breeds and so willing to share their experiences with us newbies. You seem a friendly bunch!! I'll be spending a lot of time here...I'm sure of that!

Richard

Well Known
Reaction score
Great to have you aboard.. and if you're not 100% sure what might be ailing your Guppies, post in the section dealing with diseases and lets see if we can't get some of the many Guppy experts in here right on it.

OP
T

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
thanks guys!  the first place I went to was the disease area with a cry for help! taking dead fish to pet shop this morn to see if they can identify the prob. the others are still swimming about, so that's something!  they don't look in good condition tho 
cant wait til the day i'm an experienced expert and can fix my fish straight away. I guess time and experience is the only way. reading all the books isn't everything! just hope I get the hang of it sooner rather than later. don't want any more fatalities.
i'll be back again soon!
have a good day 

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
Is the tank cycled? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

P.S. Welcome to FishLore!

OP
T

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
hI gunnie, I'm assuming it has cycled as the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all 0, pH is 7.4 which I checked before going and buying the fish. the levels have remained fairly constant since the guppies went in. i've been doing 16% water changes every 2-3 days (can these be done "too often"? am I at risk of re-cycling if I do them more often? or are all the good bacteria attached to things rather than suspended in the water. These may sound daft questions.....but I am very new to this fishy thing!)
the fish were looking pretty ill last night, so took a risk and put some metafix in, there was still some ich treatment in there, but as metafix herbal hoped it would be ok. time was running out as another fish was hanging at the surface looking ill and the others were behaving oddly....no time for carbon filtering etc as the other one died with about an hour of hanging at the surface. anyway came down this morn expecting bad news and they're all swimming about. their bodies do look quite poorly still though. they're not red, but just look like they're dissolving I guess is the only way to describe it. they're still eating (but the one which died did right up til it died) I have rang around everywhere looking for pimafix in case it is fungal and blitz the tank with both but no where here has heard of it, let alone sells it.
another question while i'm here (again, prob sounds daft, but hey....i'll take the risk.... :-\) my dead fish was at the bottom of the tank (hence took about 10 mins to find it). is this what usually happens when they die, and its a myth that they float? or is this significant as to what was wrong with it? or does it depend on how long its been dead?

btw, there's more detail of what's happened over the past few days on the disease section of forum as didnt want to get in trouble discussing it on this board (dont want to be barred in the 1st wk! ???)

thanks

atmmachine - hI there. thanks.

Jmarcus

Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore, glad you are here. If your tank were cycled I believe you should have some nitrate in your water samples. Good luck

OP
T

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
hI jmarcus, gunnie was telling me about the fact I should be having some nitrate in there by now. very odd. a couple of times I got a reading of 5, but even that was borderline! I have been using nutrafin cycle which may be affecting results? just a thought? or maybe it just hasnt started cycling yet? i'm keeping a close eye on the levels though and i'm gonna do daily water changes of 20% or so in an effort to cheer up my poorly fish. no more deaths, so that's promising.
thanks. good to hear from you

OP
T

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
hI callum! I love feeding and caring for and watching my fish, but at the moment they just seem to be dying, so they aren't enjoying it very much i'm fast going off the whole fish thing! I thought it would be relaxing! at the moment they just stress me out! . I go to the tank every few minutes like some neurotic mother with a newborn dreading what I might see! hey ho, I'll get there in the end?! soon I hope! my tank is a mystery. on paper it all seems so easy! I can't even figure out if my tank has cycled or not, and if it hasnt....why it hasnt! did you struggle when first starting up with the whole fish thing - or is it just me that can't do it?! :-\

Jmarcus

Reaction score
I feel that your tank is not cycled. Doing daily water changes is good for your fish, allthough this will increase your cycle time it is requried. Yes I believe we all had issues at first. Good things come to those that are patient GOOD LUCK!!

OP
T

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
hI jmarcus! yeah.....I think you've def hit the nail of the head there.....that might be a major problem of mine.....I really do have a problem with the whole patience thing! I have been trying though! hence my tank isn't full of plants and fish yet....although I bought more plants online last night ;D!! I figured they may speed up the cycle and cheer up my few remaining fish! Mmmmm. i'm def scared of buying more fish yet tho! I have been reading up though I think I might get some danios next. the leopard ones look fab, but prob can't get any of them round here (no decent fish shops ) so will prob get some zebras instead. def think I'll stick to tough fish for now and they seem to be toughest!! there is a general concensus that 6 is the minimum of those I can have. can't find what guppies like. i'm sure 6 was the magic number for them (which was why I started with 6). why is this? as mine don't swim together all the time and so far aren't bothered they've gone from 6 to 3. should I get more guppies to join them? I also like those bristlenose things (plec is it?), but need to do more research. are they hardy? will they enjoy same conditions as guppies and danios? can I have just 1 bristlenose, or do they get lonely too?!...any ideas? also need to figure out if all that will fit in my tank? (60L= ~15gal)!! more research required!!! really getting keener on getting another tank too. a bigger one! once i've sussed out this one that is!!!

Callum The Cat

Well Known
Reaction score
Langwarrrin, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
tan.b said:
hI callum!  I love feeding and caring for and watching my fish, but at the moment they just seem to be dying, so they aren't enjoying it very much    i'm fast going off the whole fish thing! I thought it would be relaxing!  at the moment they just stress me out!  . I go to the tank every few minutes like some neurotic mother with a newborn dreading what I might see! hey ho,  I'll get there in the end?! soon I hope! my tank is a mystery. on paper it all seems so easy! I can't even figure out if my tank has cycled or not, and if it hasnt....why it hasnt! did you struggle when first starting up with the whole fish thing - or is it just me that can't do it?!  :-\
well check your pH and make sure that's right make sure its got a heater and set at the right temprature and have a themomitare to make sure it's the right temprature other than that the must of starved or the water must just be to dirty ;D Callum!

OP
T

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
hI callum! pH is 7.2, heater is set at 24 and the thermometer is reading 27 (either 24 or 27 should be ok for my fish). water is clean as tank not set up long and doing 16% water changes every other day. ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all zero - so the nitrogen cycle is a mystery as I should have something shouldnt I ?? they are fed enough to last about 3 mins twice a day. I reckon they were diseased from shop. been to some other shops and their fish look much healthier and brighter with bigger bodies and tails etc. not going back there again!! - I got some runts I think! got some danios yesterday from my new found shop and they look really well. lets hope they stay that way! they are complete looneys mind!! fearless. they don't go round plants, they go thru them and god help if any other fish are in the way!!! fingers crossed that's the end of my misfortune now my old fish have been medicated and my new fish look well !!

Callum The Cat

Well Known
Reaction score
Langwarrrin, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
tan.b said:
hI callum! pH is 7.2, heater is set at 24 and the thermometer is reading 27 (either 24 or 27 should be ok for my fish). water is clean as tank not set up long and doing 16% water changes every other day. ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all zero - so the nitrogen cycle is a mystery as I should have something shouldnt I ?? they are fed enough to last about 3 mins twice a day. I reckon they were diseased from shop. been to some other shops and their fish look much healthier and brighter with bigger bodies and tails etc. not going back there again!! - I got some runts I think!  got some danios yesterday from my new found shop and they look really well. lets hope they stay that way! they are complete looneys mind!! fearless. they don't go round plants, they go thru them and god help if any other fish are in the way!!! fingers crossed that's the end of my misfortune now my old fish have been medicated and my new fish look well !! 
theres nothing else I can thing of then I really have no idea what could of happend ;D Callum!

kalika

Reaction score
Hey there! I am a newbie sort of. I had fish for years when I was a kid and have recently gotten back into it. Very frustrating at first with all the new advice out there. I have found that the fish stores tell you much differently than what book or on line say. Trust the books and the info you have found on line. My fish are now doing awesome. From what I have read about your plight, it sounds like you got sickly fish at the start. So they were sick and little already and then when you bring them home, your tank is a much better environment for them which can actually stress them out. Fish can eventually adapt to poor water quality etc and then it is another shock the the system to find themselves in better water. Guppies are actually very hardy fish. Zebras are great too and only slightly hardier. I'm not sure how long you have had them but it can take a week or more for them to adapt to your better water and it can take 4 - 6 weeks to be fully cycled. The bristlenose pleco is a great fish. Better than regular pleco's. They don't get overly large nor are they overly aggressive like regular ones. One would be fine in your tank and they do help algae growth but you will still have to supplement their diet with sinking algae wafers or something. They are also nocturnal so you will want to provide some plants or rocks or cave of some sort so he can hide during the day. It sounds as if you are on the right track though. Keep it up and don't lose heart. We really do all go through issues like yours at first. Another thing you mentioned about dead fish floating isn't a myth but I have found at least 99.9% of the time, I can't find the dead one. They have an uncanny ability to find their way under a plant or stuck in some corner or something. They also raise your ammonia level as well if left in there. I found one of my platys once that had nearly entirely decomposed in the course of a 16 hour period form when I had last seen it alive to when I found it dead under a plant. The warm water and the bacteria etc, all help to break the fish down fast. A book I found extremely helpful was "The simple guide to Freshwater aquariums" by David E. Boruchowitz. If you can't find a copy, you should be able to order it on line frompetco. I always see that book in stock there however I never buy my fish there (sickly) and it's obvious that anyone who works there has never read it. Again, hang in there, it will get better and then you will have fun enjoying you beautiful aquarium.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom