HI Question

1. Mattkelsey Initiate Member

I am buying a fishtank today
    i was wondering when i bring it home and run it can i let the fish be in the bag for the 24 hours
    and what is a easy freshwater tropical fish to buy i never had any fish before interested in starting

2. Llama Well Known Member Member

First of all. Hello and welcome :)

Secondly, before you put fish in, you're going to need to cycle the tank. It'll take a month or so, but otherwise you'll be losing a bunch of fish very quickly for nothing.

There's a very good guide on the website.

ADDED: https://www.fishlore.com/Beginners.htm
    https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Secondly, leaving fish for 24 hours in a bag is a very bad idea. The amount of water in there is very small, so the ammonia will spike up quickly - stressing or killing the fish, and the temperature will drop rapidly - stressing or killing the fish.

If you really really need to transport fish for that long, put them in a bucket with a heater, and change the water every so often.

As for fish - the easiest to keep are livebearers - and they are very colourfull too

Guppies
    Mollies
    Platies

are both easy to keep, and really colourful.

3. Mattkelsey Initiate Member

ty very much i was just told by the pet store i just need to add the chems to water run it then 24 hours then i can put fish in thanks liama

4. Llama Well Known Member Member

Well depends on what 'chemicals' he's talking about.

There are 'instant cycle products' (Such as tetra safe start) - you might get lucky with that, lots of forum users have.

and there are 'land bacteria products' - which 'cycle' the tank, but you keep adding them. Basically you throw in bacteria into the tank, which work for a while, then die, and keep adding them. I would NOT recomend this course of action.

5. Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

Matt, welcome to fishlore! I think it's very important to read the links that were posted above from Llama before you even go to the petstore.
    I worry that if you start buying fish before you read what you're getting into you will be sadly disappointed with your first experience.
    Take you time and have fun learning.

6. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore! Excellent advise above.

Most members here will agree that Tetra Safe Start is the ONLY cycling agent that contains the necessary bacteria to quickly cycle a tank.

LFS (fish stores) like to try to sell you products that you really don't need and that might cause harm to your fish.

The best advise would be to bring home the tank, set it up, add dechlorinator when you add the water, let it run for 24 hours to get the temperature adjusted.

If Tetra Safe Start is available to you, you add it at the same time you add the fish. If it's not available to you, there are many methods of fishless cycling your tank.

Keep us posted and please feel free to ask any questions. We're here to help you enjoy your new hobby.

7. Mattkelsey Initiate Member

I just bought the new tank 33 gallons kit tank and it has a filter thats called aqua clear
    i bought sand and put it in and i bought tetra safe start in my tank it has 3 bottle ones cycle start and tap water and waste bottle i added the tap water filled it and i added the tap water stuff to make it safe and i added the cycle stuff my filter running i gonna try to get it the heater on and thermometer what temp should i aim for and he told me i should add a fish and if it dies leave it for for 10 days and then after ten days bring him my water and he will test it for me before i put fish in it. do u agree with his advice like leave a dead fish in it ?

8. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm confused. The Tetra Safe Start was 3 bottles?

9. Llama Well Known Member Member

You should pick up an AMMONIA and a NITRATE kit while you're there.

You'll need to test for the ammonia and nitrates anyway.

His testing would probably involve testing for Ammonia and Nitrites.

Good luck ;) if you don't want to risk that much, get Zebra Danios for the beginning, they're resistant to Ammonia to a certain degree.

10. Mattkelsey Initiate Member

no i got 3 i got one that makes it safe then i got one call cycle start and one called was i added 3 cap fulls of each except the waste break down one

11. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Add the fish at the same time as the safe start, if it dies DO not leave it in there. The temp should be 75-78. Always ask for info on here as these guys are second to none with advice. Your LFS ppl only want your money and half of them don't know what they are talking about/ Good luck.

Nick

12. Mattkelsey Initiate Member

well i gonna get zebra neon their cheaper and their guaranteed for ten days if they die so i don't lose any money

13. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Okay, I see where you're coming from now. The Cycle contains the wrong type of bacteria to cycle your tank. It's non-aquatic. Tetra Safe Start is the only type that contains aquatic bacteria. Do you have Tetra Safe Start available to you? If not, you're looking at daily testing, adding Prime daily and daily water changes if you choose to do a fish cycle.

14. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Matt welcome to FishLore :)
    I'm finding your posts a little hard to read with one long huge sentence.
    That's what happens when you get old, we confuse easily. :p
    We'd appreciate it if you could separate your sentences with periods and spaces.
    It might also help any misunderstanding with your questions.
    Thanks!

Great advice given above. Take the time to read the links Llama provided.
    They are both very important for the health of your future fish and your enjoyment of them.

Best of luck!

15. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Dont mean to put a downer on it buddy but i think the guarantee would only stand if your water is perfect and had cycled. They might ask for a sample of your water before any refunds. My LFS do.

16. Mattkelsey Initiate Member

well i just want to thank everyone for the info this is a great site i have alot of reading to do now i just hope i did not throw away 459 bucks but i think with u guys at my side i will be fine thanks a million for the great help

17. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

We'll help in any way we can! We're glad you're here.

18. Elvishswimmer Member Member

NOOOO
    I typed a huge post and then hit a button and it erased.
    Here it goes again:

Are the 3 products this:
    Tetra Aquasafe
    Tetra Safestart
    Tetra Easybalance?

If so, you have chosen the right products!
    Aquasafe is used to safely remove the chlorines and chloramines in your tap water that are toxic to both fish and bacteria! The directions say 1 capful for 20 gallons (at least on my bottle) so you don't need to use 3 capfuls, but overdoing it never hurts anything!

The Safestart though needs to be added at the same time as the fish, and you should add the fish after running the new tank for 24 hours.
    The Safestart is the bacteria, and the bacteria need the ammonia to live, which is found from decomposing fish poo and leftover food.
    When you add the fish you need to add the WHOLE bottle, so that you make sure you get the proper amount of bacteria. Just follow the directions on the bottle, they are fairly clear.
    So if you added 3 capfuls now, I'm not sure what that means.
    As a side note, if you are using Prime, DON'T use it with Safestart. It will kill the bacteria in the bottle, making it useless.

The Easybalance is used after your tank is fully cycled to help remove phosphates and nitrates. You don't need to worry about that now, you just need to get your tank cycled and stable.

Could you confirm these are the products you are using. It would be of great help to everyone!

Oh, and Welcome to FishLore. We are really glad to have you :):;hi2

19. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Matt and Welcome to Fish Lore.

Here is a link on Tetra Safe Start (TSS) that you will find helpful as well. I know you have a lot of information being thrown to you at one time. Take a deep breath and relax, check out all the information and when you have questions don't hesitate to ask.
    Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart

The nitrogen cycle (link in a previous post above #2) is crucial to fish keeping. Once you have an understanding of the nitrogen cycle it will be much easier. The first few weeks of this hobby are the hardest.

Congrats on the new tank! We're here to help when you need us.
    Best wishes!
    Ken