Hi! We're on our second week of fishkeeping

1. throwingutah Initiate Member

Last year for my son's fifth birthday, he got a betta tank. A year later, the betta is doing well and I got him a 46gal bowfront off craigslist. After a week with the aquarium on the front porch (figured it was a good place to test for leaks) I was able to move the tank inside at the beginning of the month, clean off the decorations, and set up the tank. When I bought the tank, I got enough gravel and accessories to have a nice setup - all I replaced was the airline tubing and the suction cups.
    I've taken him up to the fish store (the PetSmarts here seem to be pretty good at taking care of their fish) several times to look at fish and decide what he likes. Then we go home and see what'll work together. When I did a filter change on the betta tank, I took the old filter and stuck it in the new tank filter, and the next day we added three red eye tetras. A week later, we got five green cory cats. I also added two more red eyes because two of the first three had paired up and I didn't want the third to get lonesome. I probably shouldn't have added seven fish within a couple of days, but it seems to be working out okay.
    I've been checking the levels, and the ammonia went up to about .25, but I've been watching the nitrate levels start to go up. I did my first partial water change today. My barbecue thermometer is getting a lot of use these days - I didn't realize how smart I was being, getting a waterproof one!
    The fish seem to be getting along great. The solo tetra had found a spot he liked to hover, but when I added the cories, the largest cory decided he liked that spot. When the fish settled a little, I watched the tetra wander over to "his" spot and find it already occupied. He bumped the cory a couple of times, the cory didn't budge, and I could almost see the tetra sigh and wander off to look for another hangout. Now they all like to loiter around the sunken ship, and the tetras pretty much sit on top of the cories. They're really active when I feed them now, but it took about a week and a half before they got really zippy, especially the tetras. I pull up a chair after I feed 'em so I can watch.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!! sounds like a fun tank ...with more room in it!!
    but getting the tank cycled is important at this point...when you have ammonia, daily paritial water changes with some prime or amquel + is advised as ammonia/nitrites can kill them fast ....
    we would love some pics sometime :)

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!
    I always feel bad when I add new fish and they interfere with my existing fish's routines. lol

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

5. click Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fish lore. Looking forward for pics.