Hi! Very new here! Help?

Kenzsie

Hey everyone,

new here, very new to the hobby. I have a beta in a 3 gallon filtered and heated tank. I do weekly 10-20 % water changes and I test my water every 4 days. Originally got the beta for my 5 year old, I had them growing up as a kid so I though it would be cool if he did too.

as an early Christmas present, my husband got me a 10 gallon. I have it all set up but this time I wanted to do a planted aquarium. So I have three types of Anubis’s and two bunches of moneywort. Everything is great so far except for the pest snails that came along with the plants. The tank has been cycling for almost a month now, and I am finding and scooping out snails daily.

by the end of October I am planning on putting fish in there, I was thinking of doing

1 dwarf gourami
5 cardinal tetras
2 dwarf corys

but now with the pest snails I wanted to add 2 assassin snails.

I have two questions

Will that be overstocked? I do a lot of water care but I’m not sure if that will still be too many fish for a 10 gallon…

also will the dwarf gourami eat the assassin snails or the pest snails?

Cue

If I were you, I'd move the betta instead. 3 gallons is too small for them to thrive and they will definitely appreciate the room. I would also recommend doing larger (50% or more) water changes.

And to answer your original question. yes, that will be overstocked. Dwarf gouramis need at least a 20 gallon, and cory catfish need a proper school (6 or more.)

I would get a school of Cardinals and move your betta. If they do well together you can turn the 3 gallon into a shrimp tank.

P.s if you want to prevent snails in the future, try an alum bath!

Noroomforshoe

The dwarf gourami will not eat the snails. But dwarf gourami can be aggressive bullies, and they might not appreciate the tetra in their territory, expessially in such a small tank. I would not recommend dwarf gourami in a tank under 20 gallons.
Cories need to be in a shoal of 5 or more. I would not recommend cories for a tank under 20 galons. Not even pygmy cories, as They need pristine water and a larger school of 9 or more.
Cardinal tetra would probobly be ok, assassin snails too. You could likly also add a your betta with cation, as not every betta will do well with tank mates, but many bettas will thrive with tank mates.

Kenzsie

If I were you, I'd move the betta instead. 3 gallons is too small for them to thrive and they will definitely appreciate the room. I would also recommend doing larger (50% or more) water changes.

And to answer your original question. yes, that will be overstocked. Dwarf gouramis need at least a 20 gallon, and cory catfish need a proper school (6 or more.)

I would get a school of Cardinals and move your betta. If they do well together you can turn the 3 gallon into a shrimp tank.

P.s if you want to prevent snails in the future, try an alum bath!
If I move my beta and get cardinals can I still get an assassin snail or two?

Cue

If I move my beta and get cardinals can I still get an assassin snail or two?
If your betta isn’t aggressive, totally! If you don’t want babies you should only get one though.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
20 Gallon Tank New member here
Replies
Views
JLAquatics
75 Gallon Tank New member here
Replies
Views
Lozza79