Hi , Thank You And Help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Suzannah, Apr 3, 2019.

1. SuzannahNew MemberMember

Hello everyone and thank you for welcoming me. I am married, have 3 kids and am a rookie fish keeper and looking for some help, if possible.
    I have been keeping freshwater tanks for the last 6 years.
    I had a 55 gallon with blind caves, silver dollars, Cory Cat’s, balloon molly and a pearl gourami. I found a good home for my fish and gave the tank away.
    Currently, I have 3 goldfish (2 comet and 1 fancy...I think) that my kids won at a fair in 2013. I know a 20 gallon tank is not big enough for these guys, but that is what I have them in. One of the fish has had a slow growing white spot on his head. I have tried to attach pix. I am hoping you guys might be able to help me identify it and give me advice on how to treat it.
    Many thanks in advance☺️Suzannah

Attached Files:

2. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

3. AJEFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to fish lore

4. SuzannahNew MemberMember

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 20 gallons
    How long has the tank been running? 5 years
    Does it have a filter? Yes
    Does it have a heater? No
    What is the water temperature? 73-ish
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
    3 goldfish ( I think 2 comet and one fancy). They were bait fish that my kids won at a carnival in 2013.

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? once every 2 weeks
    How much of the water do you change? Half to 1/3
    What do you use to treat your water? Prime and aquarium salt
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
    What do you use to test the water?i took it in to our local fish store and had them test the water
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”. I don’t know currently

Ammonia:
    Nitrite:
    Nitrate:
    pH:

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? Once a day
    How much do you feed your fish? Enough...not too much, not too little
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra fin goldfish crisps
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? 10/13
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? About a year ago
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Small white mark that has slowly grown bigger
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? I tried Melafix daily for 2 weeks to no avail
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?no
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Behavior has not changed., the white spot is getting bigger faster

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now). We noticed a white bump and I did not think much of it however it seems as if it has grown in size more rapidly over the last couple of months. I tried treating it with Melafix as suggested to me by a pet store but it did not seem to make a difference

Attached Files:

5. SuzannahNew MemberMember

6. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

It's alright, we can read it here.

I know that I do not know much about goldies, but maybe @Rtessy has some advice?

7. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Hey there!
    First, it looks like there are two commons and one comet, no fancies. Fancies are normally defined by having two tail fins and an abnormal body shape or coloration, with the exception of the nymph goldfish.
    Secondly, it looks like a tumor to me. For some reason, they seem to be getting much more common in fish. Not much you can do other than surgery, and surgery doesn't always go well. I've seen goldfish live for years with tumors, some don't live that long, but most live for at least another year.

Future Recommendations:
    - get a test that will test ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate
    - you need to do more water changes, switch to 50% every week. You may need to do more depending on the nitrate test (should be at or less than 40ppm)
    - do some intensive reading into the nitrogen cycle
    - ideally, (this is an ideal, most people cannot achieve this, the first three are the most important) get a 55 gallon, they'll be much happier there. Of course, most don't have the space or budget for this, but they will be much more comfortable and waste won't build up as quickly.

8. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!!!

9. AJEFishlore VIPMember

A mod would have to move it @Lucy @stella1979

10. LucyModeratorModerator Member