Hi, Stocking Suggestions For 42g 40 Gallon Tank

1. funksoulbro

funksoulbro Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi there, I have a 42g, 32in long 14in width 12 height. I currently have got 12 zebra danios and 7 Cherry Barbs. I am planning on future stocking. Here's my plan:

12 X Zebra Danios (2 red, 10 Blue)
    7 X Cherry Barbs
    8 X Cardinal or Harlequin (or both?)
    5 X Pristella Tetras
    1 X Dwarf Gourami
    1 X Ram Cichlid

Base on Aqadvisor I am kinda close to over-stocking? I would like to add a Ram too. But not sure about the compatibility esp with Gourami. or even get both Cardinal AND Harlequin. I want colors in the tank. I already have cherries and red zebras. So I would avoid more red. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1,343
    I would only keep the 2 schooling fish. They will occupy the middle. You can have the ram that you want. I advise against DGs because some are nice and some are exteremely aggressive. It’s a gamble. I suggest just one centerpiece. I would add a bottom feeder. I recommend corydoras. You can have 8 albino corydoras. They are exteremely active. Will you be planting? This tank would look awesome(In my head) if it was really heavily planted.

For the top, you can have hatchetfish. You would want a school of at least 6 with 8 being good. You will need a tight lid for them.

3. OP
    OP
    funksoulbro

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks! schooling fishes I supposed that excludes barbs & tetras? So I have got zebras and gotta choose between cardinal and harlequin. Tough choice, I am even thinking Glowlight Rasboras because i feel Harlequin might just add more reddish colors to what I already have. But ihave heard glowlight yellow don't look as colorful as what we see on photos.

I have got 3 live plants in the aquarium with couple of rock and 'hiding' ornaments. Pity if i can't get a gourami. They look nice. Couldn't find peaceful Honey Gouramis where I am at. They only have the normal Dwarf and pearls. Are Rams considered to be peaceful as well? Or are they like gouramis a hit or missed?

4. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +2,410
    You already have 2 top-mid schools (the danios and barbs), so I wouldn't add another school in. It'd make it too crowded especially since that this is a 32 in tank.

I'd do:

12 zebra danios
    7 cherry barbs
    1 bolivian ram
    7 panda cories
    Temp at 73-75F.

Rams are generally peaceful. Many people have kept them in community tanks before.

5. OP
    OP
    funksoulbro

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks! I'll get some cories. Once the tank is old enough i will add in the Ram!

6. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +2,410
    Bolivian rams aren't that sensitive as GBRs. You should be fine adding them now.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted