Hi new to the forum but not to fish

1. Diamondbarbz

Diamondbarbz New Member Member

I've been keeping fish all my life ever since I was a child my father and I would take care of his tanks together. Within 6 years I myself have had community, goldfish, African cichlids, and saltwater. But I am finally settling for something a bit easier. Guppies.

They are in a 37 gallon with an aqua clear 50 filter, Black sand, and live plants. The heater is set at 74 degrees Fahrenheit. So far in there I have 2 females 2 males and 7-9 babies (not quite sure how many). If anyone has any advice to successfully keep guppies please feel free to give it! Thank you!

2. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum! The only advice I can give on guppies is you need two more females and that they will quickly overrun your tank, is suggest all males for an easier tank. Or something else, tons of stocks you can do(cherry barbs a personal favourite)I've never successfully kept guppies(my tanks hate them for some reason). Glad your here!

3. OP
    OP
    Diamondbarbz

I definitely planned on getting more females because I know they need a more female to male ratio because they will be harassed. I want something that's not going to eat the babies will the cherry barbs eat the babies, I was also thinking about neon tetras how would that work?

4. Platylover

Any fish you get will eat them if they fit into their mouths, neons are a no since they need cooler temps, but cherries should be fine. I wouldn't suggest getting any other fish as in a few months your guppies will have stocked(probably over at this point) the tank. I was just saying if you where to give the females away then there's a lot of options out there.:)

5. OP
    OP
    Diamondbarbz

The cherries won't nip their fins?

6. Platylover

They should be fine, just get 6, no more than two males though. They need the same ratio as livebearers.:)

7. OP
    OP
    Diamondbarbz

Okay thank you so much!

8. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Cherry Barbs do not need the same 1:2 ratio as the livebearers, they are one of the most mild-mannered species available. Some people keep all males, some have kept 1:1 ratio, I've even seen more males than females, so long as there is more than 1 female. Males are more likely to compete with other males than to harass females, and even that consists primarily of fanning at one another.

They are unlikely to nip fins, though guppy tails are awfully tempting.

9. Platylover

No problem.:)

10. Platylover

It's just that I've read somewhere that you do need to have that ratio and have had some problems with the males and not keeping that ratio. Really personal preference and I think it's just better to be safe than sorry. But I do see what your talking about, just my opinion on the matter.:)
    Oops I double posted, sorry.

11. H

Happy1234 New Member Member

You could add a school of pygmy cories for the bottom. They are super cute :)

12. H

Happy1234 New Member Member

In my Asian tank, my 2 male takes turns to chase the 8 females.

13. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

You need more males, so that they feel some competition.

I'm not talking about what I've read, I'm talking about what I've seen and done. I spawned the species using three males and two females, a common ratio when breeding many of the smaller Barbs. If I had 10 fish, I would want 5-6 males, the rest females.

There are two or three other members of this forum who have reported keeping schools of all males, with no problems. I would never do this because you can't breed a school of all males!

14. Platylover

I think it's more a preference then, personally I wouldn't do more males than females personally because of my experience(I'm talking about my experience, and have just seen some others say the same:)).