Hi! New Member

GinGirl97

Hi! I am a new member! I found this forum on tiktok and I am currently doing research for my new fish. I haven't owned a fish in more than 10 years and my care was less than adequate. I'm making sure I have my research down pat before I commit to fish care. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am thinking of getting a betta fish and a 75L tank (20 gallons).

Thank you in advance!

richiep

Croeso welcome to fishlore, there are loads of beta keekers who will look after you here,

GinGirl97

richiep said:
Croeso welcome to fishlore, there are loads of beta keekers who will look after you here,
Thank you! I can't wait to learn more about betta keeping!

QCAquaholic

First thing I would do is familiarize yourself with the nitrogen cycle. Are you going 20 long or high?

richiep

QCAquaholic said:
First thing I would do is familiarize yourself with the nitrogen cycle. Are you going 20 long or high?
Op says she knows about Nitrogen cycle in her profile

QCAquaholic

richiep said:
Op says she knows about Nitrogen cycle in her profile
Yep! Forgot to check that

Kitley

Welcome to the forum!

StarGirl

Welcome! Any questions are good here! :)

Mhamilton0911

Hello!!

Welcome to the party!

Sputnik

Welcome and congrats on beginning your betta keeping journey! We all help each other here so joining this forum and doing research in advance are terrific first steps!

Dennis57

Hi, Welcome to Fishlore.

ForceTen

My number 1 piece of advice.

Take everything you read here as opinion, even if its not opinion.
I have spent more money and wasted more time by believing everything posted in this forum.
Read posts. Get advice. But do your own research.

FishBoy101

Welcome to FishLore!

86 ssinit

Welcome to Fishlore!! Yes there’s lots of info here. I’m guessing from ForceTen not all the best. Thing is betas are probably the worst fish to buy. All stores have them in their little jars out front to catch the kids eyes. Those are never the best ones to get. I will say do some reading and find a breeder. Buy a quality fish. It will live longer! So many threads here about saving a stores betta and now it’s dying. Quality bettas are what your looking for. Good luck in your new adventure :).

GinGirl97

QCAquaholic said:
I've been researching the nitrogen cycle. I know I have to cycle the tank for at least 4 weeks until the parameters are: ammonia - 0, pH - 6.5-7.5, nitrate 20ppm, nitrite - 0
I think the tank I want more on the long side.
This is the tank I'm thinking:

ForceTen

86 ssinit said:
Welcome to Fishlore!! Yes there’s lots of info here. I’m guessing from ForceTen not all the best. Thing is betas are probably the worst fish to buy. All stores have them in their little jars out front to catch the kids eyes. Those are never the best ones to get. I will say do some reading and find a breeder. Buy a quality fish. It will live longer! So many threads here about saving a stores betta and now it’s dying. Quality bettas are what your looking for. Good luck in your new adventure :).
Don't get me wrong. There is plenty good information here and many very smart knowledgeable members. Also we have several/many members that have been at this hobby for decades.
The point being this forum should not be the end all. This forum provides very good information, but you must be sure you are doing your own thinking and your own research. There are members here I would trust to be right on most anything and there are others I would not want to walk my dog.
Welcome to the forum.

kanzekatores

Welcome! This forum is a great place for advice and there are many knowledgable hobbyists who will answer your questions. A betta in a 20g L is a great place to start too

Koneko

Hi and welcome.

Top Bottom