Hi - new hob problems

lotrnerd

Reaction score
Hi guys! New member, and new tank keeper. Not a proper fish keeper yet, because I don't actually have any fish. I bought an Aqueon 29 gallon tank, got a 100W heater, and an Aquaclear 50. Tank doesn't leak, heater heats, hob doesn't suck up water. I have it all set up right, filled the media basket according to the directions, at first the impeller wasn't spinning, I fixed that, but now it won't suck water into the box. The water makes it to the top of the intake tube and just... won't go over into the hob. Youtube was not helpful. Anyone have ideas??

Heron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is your water level high enough in the tank? I am not familiar with this unit but does it need priming? Some filters need to be filled with water first.

lotrnerd

Reaction score
The water level is about 1" below the rim of the tank, the filter does have water in it. I thought putting the water in was priming it? Like, I fill the filter with water, plug it in, and it runs, but the water just doesn't get sucked into the filter. Am I not priming it right?

toeknee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe try continuously pouring water into the filter as it's running to get a flow going.

GumYu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you have the intake tube to the left for max flow rate?
And make sure the tube is properly seated and aligned with the impeller housing.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi guys! New member, and new tank keeper. Not a proper fish keeper yet, because I don't actually have any fish. I bought an Aqueon 29 gallon tank, got a 100W heater, and an Aquaclear 50. Tank doesn't leak, heater heats, hob doesn't suck up water. I have it all set up right, filled the media basket according to the directions, at first the impeller wasn't spinning, I fixed that, but now it won't suck water into the box. The water makes it to the top of the intake tube and just... won't go over into the hob. Youtube was not helpful. Anyone have ideas??
Recheck the seating of your intake tube and impeller, make sure all intake tube sections are fitted together tightly (so no air is being sucked in) and if you have an airstone, make sure it's far enough away from the intake that air from that isn't being sucked in. Also, make sure the filter itself is hooked over the tank lip correctly, seated correctly and level.

lotrnerd

Reaction score
Did some more troubleshooting, I didn't have the impeller in right the first time, and my bubble wall was under the intake. Everything is working fine now. Thanks for all of the help!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom