Hi, I've been lurking and I think I like this forum

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by chromedome52, Jul 10, 2015.

1. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Greetings. I am definitely not new to the hobby. I started keeping, breeding, and studying tropical fish in 1967. Actually, the studying came first, as I bought a $3.00 book (HUGE expenditure in those days!) called Innes' 19th edition of Exotic Aquarium Fishes (still have that book). My mother bought me a used 15 gallon tank for Christmas, hoping to divert my attention from an interest in snakes. It worked - too well.

A couple of days later, after we had set it up and put fish in (it was ok, we had a UG filter!;)), I had a red swordtail female drop fry. From that day forward, I was hooked on breeding fish. I have bred several hundred species, from almost all groups, both common and rare. However, I wanted to be certain what species of fish I was breeding, so I started reading a lot of books. I joined the local fish clubs, then a couple of the national specialty groups. Even during my time in the Navy I continued to study fish in my spare time. Since I was stationed in Florida, I also managed to collect a lot of native species. I decided that the best way to learn was to talk to the biggest experts, so I did. I know many of them as friends now, and some are gone.

After I got out of the Navy in 1975 I started taking pictures, as I had purchased a nice camera. Most of the pictures were slides, a habit I got from my father. Then one day, someone said, "hey, you've got a lot of slides of fish, how about doing a program for the club?" So I did, and to my great surprise, they liked it. I haven't done a ton of programs, but I've done them for clubs from Detroit to Minnesota, and once I even did one for the American Livebearer Association convention. This one was my first PowerPoint program, and even the most critical people I know approved. Started shooting digital around the same time, so I have a lot of images on file.

So you are probably wondering, why is this guy on a forum for helping beginners? Simple: I like to help people learn about the aquarium hobby. I have a great deal of knowledge and experience that I hope to place at your disposal. While lurking, I've noticed that most of the small mistakes get addressed by some obviously experienced aquarists; however, when one of these folks make a mistake, usually of a highly technical nature, there is no one to help them. I can't help myself, I have to help.

I've been on forums since the mid 90s, when I joined CompuServe's Fishnet. I even served as a mod for a while, and as assistant Forum Manager when it moved to a web type forum. Then they pulled the rug out from under us, and I was left to wander the various fish forums I could find. I found that Cichlid forums tend to be very active, and draw a lot of would-be experts ("I've been keeping fish for five years, I know everything!":;laughing). However, unless they get excessively belligerent, I can politely show them the error of their ways. Otherwise, I turn them over to the mods.

However, Cichlids are not my be-all, end-all, a blasphemous statement on those forums. I wanted to get back to a general forum, where my extensive knowledge of Characiformes, Cyprinodontiformes, Cypriniformes, and a few other -formes could be put to good use. I like a good argument, I mean, discussion, so long as it stays on subject. Never take them personally, and hope the other person feels the same. I've seen this attitude in the threads here, and I like it.

I don't do Marine. There are too many FW fish left to breed before I go there. I don't want my Face on any Book, I don't tweet, and I never even did myspace, which most of you probably don't remember anyway.

This all probably sounds like a lot of bragging. Maybe it is. Or, like Walter Brennan used to say, "No brag, just fact." (For those not old enough to remember Walter Brennan, :;google). This probably seems rather long winded for an introduction post, but hey, I've been around a long time. I hope we can get along. I will likely post a few threads with some of my fish activity, maybe even link to a YouTube vid or two. As we used to say, "See ya in the funny papers!":;thx

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fish Lore haha! Enjoy the forum, I'm sure you'll be a great source of knowledge for everyone in here! Hope you like it here!!! :) (P.S. I'm the insane Gaga and betta lover, btw ;) )

3. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fishlore!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

Welcome! I enjoyed reading your intro.

6. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Welcome! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. EricV

EricVFishlore VIPMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice