Hi! Intro And Question About Kuhli Loaches!

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Ssang, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Ssang

SsangNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    hi!
    I have a 40 gallon tank with sand substrate and some live plants.

In it there are:
    Two balloon mollies
    Five neon tetras
    Three kuhli loaches
    African dwarf frog
    Three fan tail Mollys
    One caty
    Three mystery snails

Phew that’s a lot! They are all really small and I’m planning to get a 55 or bigger by January. I’ve had the tank going for about 6 months and just added the loaches. I read up on them and how they like to go under the sand but these don’t. They just hide in places above sand. Is it because they are smaller and can’t get in or do they not like the sand? Just want them to be happy!

Also just noticed some babies this morning! I think they might be mollys but not sure, there are about 4. They’re hiding in the plants pretty well do you think they’ll survive?

Here’s a pic of the tank and one of a baby

image.

image.

2. BusterBot28

BusterBot28Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    1 year
    My kuhli loaches almost never burrow. The only time I see it is when they make a cave under the rock or driftwood. I am not good with mollies and stuff so I can’t help with identifying the fry but congrats!

3. OP
    OP
    Ssang

SsangNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks! They were diving into the gravel at the store was hoping they would do it in the sand too but I’m glad it’s normal.

4. BusterBot28

BusterBot28Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    1 year
    One thing I’ve noticed is that when they are really stressed out. One time I took out every decoration in the tank to clean and almost all of them dig into the sand. I would suggest getting more of them when you upgrade tank size. They get bolder when there’s more of them.

5. LynnwoodFishDad

LynnwoodFishDadValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +186
    Experience:
    1 year
    Great looking tank! My kuhlis stayed hidden under rocks and behind plants for nearly a month. Give them time and they should be fine.