5 Gallon Tank Hi! I'm new :)

ArchieTheBetta

Hi everyone!
About a month ago I got my first betta fish(male), I don't know what kind of betta he is... At the moment I have a 5 gallon tank with artificial plants and a piece of driftwood.
I really want to try out real plants but don't know which ones would be okay and which ones I would be able to keep alive(I've never had good luck with plants). The last month has been difficult with Archie, I've been super worried about him because I've never seen him eat, he had obviously eaten at some point because he's still alive. I bought him three different foods and he seemed to have no interest in any of them. The first food I bought for him was Omega one betta flakes, didn't even approach those, second food was New life spectrum betta pellet's, he approached those but I didn't see him eat any, third food was Vibra bites, again Archie approached them but I didn't see him eat any. Today my Biology teacher gave me Daphnia!!! Archie LOVES them first time I've seen him eat! Only problem is I have no idea how many to give him...(today I gave him 4) Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Dennis57

Hi, and Welcome to Fishlore.

Bettas like live brine shrimp, blood worms, mosquito larvae, frozen or freeze dried live food, and/or Betta pellets.

sairving

A Betta's stomach is the size of their eye. You don't want to feed so much they get bloated or constipated. Another good food to try would be Fluval Bug bites and bloodworms. You can get bloodworms frozen or freeze-dried. If you feed freeze-dried food, soak it in a bit of tank water before feeding. Both of mine have liked brine shrimp. My previous betta ate NorhtFin betta bits but my current one is a bit too small for the North fin yet.

AggressiveAquatics

Welcome to fishlore! Your profile say as you don’t know about the nitrogen cycle. Do you have a test kit or a place that can test your water? Poor water quality can be a cause of lack of appetite

Batmantheanglefish

Welcome! I just joined recently also. My betta liked daphnia also but liked brine shrimp better than it. Hope this helps!

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore!

You could try soaking his food in Garlic juice and see if he wants it then. My Betta loves the frozen Daphnia maybe you could try that too. You just need a small slice thawed as the others said you don't want to feed too much.

Do you have a picture of your tank? Maybe we can see something that is stressing him out.

ArchieTheBetta

There is a very nice pet/fish store near me, but because of covid-19 I'm not allowed to go out much, sadly only school now. I would be able to buy something off amazon, any suggestions?

BettaLover89

Betta fish are extremely picky. Sometimes it takes many different trials of food to find the right mix. I've had success with Omega 1 betta buffet pellets, Omega 1 freeze dried blood worms and daphnia. He's a new fish so sometimes they may not eat right away. I would just keep trying different foods until you find ones he likes. You can't just feed one either, you need to vary his diet. You can also fast him for a day or so which will encourage him to eat something he may not exactly like right away. Usually when it comes to pellets you can feed 1 to 4 pellets. I would avoid flakes totally. Bloodworms should be givin as a treat every couple of days. Remember that a bettas stomach is only the size of its eyeball. Since you are a beginner and have a betta tank there are some super easy plants you can try. Anubias batari, anubias Nana, Java fern, java moss, Marimo moss balls or even elodea. All of those are low light plants and only require you to fertilize them once or twice a week. If you get real plants you'll need a fertilizer like seachem flourish. It will provide your plants with all the nutrition they need. Also I would get yourself an Indian almond leaf and put it in there. It may turn your water a little yellow but that's okay it's meant to do that. It will release tannins into the water that will not only protect your betta from disease but de-stress and relax your betta. Overall bettas are great pets, but they are not beginner pets and require constant care and checking of water parameters. Look at your Betta often for signs of stress or disease. These can include anything from swim bladder disease, which will inflate the bladder like a balloon, you almost can't miss it. Also look for white spots on the betta that look like little grains of salt as this could be a sign of ich. Also look at their fins and tails and make sure that they are not torn of frayed. This could be a sign of fin rot. Again having an Indian almond leaf in your tank could potentially prevent any of that, but it is not always guaranteed. I wish you all the luck in the world and you should definitely upload pictures of your little guy so we can tell you what kind of betta he is!!!

StarGirl

There is a very nice pet/fish store near me, but because of covid-19 I'm not allowed to go out much, sadly only school now. I would be able to buy something off amazon, any suggestions?
The API Master Freshwater liquid test kit is really good and what a lot of members use.

ArchieTheBetta

The API Master Freshwater liquid test kit is really good and what a lot of members use.
Okay, thank you for your help!

sairving

You can get all of the foods mentioned above on Amazon. As BettaLover89 mentioned, bettas can be picky. It's how I ended up with 4 different foods. If you're going to order off of amazon, I would order Hikari freeze-dried bloodworms and something else to serve as his primary food. My current betta gets Omega One Betta Buffet flakes (he's not full-grown), Fluval bug Bites Betta formula and Hikari Brine Shrimp. Once he can get pellets in his mouth, he will get Northfin betta Bits and bloodworms added to the mix.

aquachris

Welcome to Fishlore! Would love to see pics of your betta!

crezguy

Hi everyone!
About a month ago I got my first betta fish(male), I don't know what kind of betta he is... At the moment I have a 5 gallon tank with artificial plants and a piece of driftwood.
I really want to try out real plants but don't know which ones would be okay and which ones I would be able to keep alive(I've never had good luck with plants). The last month has been difficult with Archie, I've been super worried about him because I've never seen him eat, he had obviously eaten at some point because he's still alive. I bought him three different foods and he seemed to have no interest in any of them. The first food I bought for him was Omega one betta flakes, didn't even approach those, second food was New life spectrum betta pellet's, he approached those but I didn't see him eat any, third food was Vibra bites, again Archie approached them but I didn't see him eat any. Today my Biology teacher gave me Daphnia!!! Archie LOVES them first time I've seen him eat! Only problem is I have no idea how many to give him...(today I gave him 4) Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Hi and Welcome to Fishlore..!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
Replies
Views
evonner
Replies
Views
WaveriderMick
Replies