Hi, i'm new to this forum, can someone help me figure this out

1. cragterharris Initiate Member

well i have a 260ltr tank
    so far it has a silver shark, 2 clown loaches, a fire eel, 2 plecs, 9 tiger barbs and 6 rosy barbs
    the fish have been going fine for the past few weeks since having to get rid of our black shark (it kept chasing all the tigers round all the time and stressing them out too much)
    so we thought the tank would calm down a bit well it did for about a week but recently a few of the tigers tails have been getting nipped and we cant quite figure out what has been nipping them
    they get fed frequently and we feed the fire eel about 3 cubes of bloodworm a day
    can someone help please?
    thank you to anyone who does

2. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore.
    One problem you're likely running into is crowding.
    You've got a tank that's just under 70g if I'm doing the conversion right. Clown loaches are pretty active, from what I recall, and can get pretty large (not sure what size they are now, but they will eventually outgrow that tank).
    The plecos (presuming they're common plecos) will also get big, but they're not terribly active, so they aren't as big of a space issue (although they heavily affect the bioload of the tank).
    The tiger barbs and rosy barbs are excellent for that tank, and you're keeping them in acceptable schools, so they're probably okay.
    The silver shark (aka Bala shark) is likely the biggest problem. It tops out at 15", is a very, very active swimmer, and is a schooling fish like the barbs. I'd be willing to bet that it's the shark doing the nipping. If a schooling fish doesn't have a school, it will often turn its aggression toward other tankmates.

For long-term success of the aquarium, I'd suggest returning the clowns, the shark, and one of the plecos. After that, you'll be pretty heavily stocked (the eel and the pleco both have pretty high bioloads), but your tank should be very manageable. You'll have activity and color in the form of the barbs, strangeness in the form of the eel, and an excellent cleaner in the form of the pleco.

3. cragterharris Initiate Member

thanks
    the loaches are about 1-2" long atm
    the plecs, 1 is 8" and the other is about 9" now
    the barbs are pretty much an inch and a bit
    the eel is about 9" long
    and the silver shark is about 2-3"
    it doesnt look over crowded but its my first tank so i wouldnt know how much is too much

thanks

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

it's hard to look at a tank and just know it is overcrowded. there are different factors that play into it: how active are the fish, what is their maximum adult size, what is their bioload like, how aggressive and terretorial are they, where in the tank do they hang out, plus more!

The goal is to have a tank that looks a bit fuller by getting some COMPATIBLE fish for the top, middle, and bottom of your tank.

5. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Bioload wise, your tank isn't terribly heavily stocked. It will be, however, and it won't take all that long.
    Activity wise, on the other hand, it is likely overstocked already. The Bala shark needs others of its kind or it will continue nipping. It also needs a lot of swimming room to feel comfortable. You can't provide the former without making the latter even worse, and the lack of swimming room may be making it even more ornery than just the lack of fellows. It's a bit of a Catch22.

This is the kind of thing that pet stores should tell people when they buy fish. There are so few tanks that are really comfortable for clown loaches and for bala sharks, and it would be so easy for them to ask what size tank you have, say "those aren't really the right fish for you" and then help you find better choices.

6. cragterharris Initiate Member

well we was always asking if they are fine together and they know we have a 260 tank as were preety much there every week
    they told us once before that a betta were compatiable with the tigers but we learnt the hard way that they arnt
    and also we were told that the fire eel would be good with the fish but recently been told that he nips quite a lot too when he's hungry
    aswell as black neons they were aparently fine with tigers but they got nipped too
    butmost of this information was given to us by the main guy's helper

7. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Hello & Welcome to fishlore. You've gotten soom good advice. I hope everything works out for you. :)

8. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

That's exactly the kind of misinformation that creates so many problems. I was once told that a butterfly koi would be an okay addition to a 20g tropical tank.
    I should have done my own research, but in a lot of other hobbies, talking to salespeople involved with the hobby is considered research. In fishkeeping, however, too many of the salespeople don't really know much about what they're selling.

The fire eel can work, even with long-finned, slow fish. I have a friend who is successfully keeping one with a betta. As long as it remains fed, it's fine (it's much like a reef display at a public aquarium that has both sharks and fish; as long as the sharks get easy meals, they don't bother hunting).

9. cragterharris Initiate Member

thats good to know
    we tend to feed the eel (named Eli) pretty often and when he's all fed and done he retreats back into the gravel to do some digging
    which is annoying when your trying to find him but we really dont want to have to give him up
    but its all just getting a bit worrying now, we cant figure out whats happening with the tigers
    they seem to be stressed alot at the moment, we've done a few water changes, its all up to temperature, emptied the whole tank out a week ago with clean fresh gravel and gave everything else a good clean up
    so the water is pretty much fresh!
    then we did a test 4 days after and nitrite and ammonia were at 0 and the nitrate was 20ppm
    which is usually what we normally get and the fish are usually fine
    but lately they just seem to hide behind the bottom left plant all the time

10. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Nitrates could be a bit lower, but 20 is within safe limits.
    Are all of them hiding together, or does it seem that one is in a different place?

11. cragterharris Initiate Member

no there all hiding together mostly as a group

12. cragterharris Initiate Member

iv just seen it happen now the rosy barbs are nipping the tigers
    i had a word with the lfs and they said to try and increase the male 2 female ration but i think were gonna take the rosy barbs back because i feel sorry for the tigers as they are really nice fish but seem to get hurt a lot

but does anyone know why they might be hiding at all?

13. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Rosies nipping at tigers? It's usually the other way around.
    I agree that taking them back is the better solution. The fish store's answer sounded more like a way of selling you more fish than of fixing your problem.
    Sorry, if they're all clustered together, I couldn't tell you why they're hiding.

14. cragterharris Initiate Member

well the only reason i think its the other way round is because when we had the red tail shark, it chased the tigers round that much that they became a little timmid
    so because they're not out as often as they used to be, maybe the rosy's are taking advantage...?

15. Diggly Well Known Member Member

It sounds like a territorial and space problem to me which will only get worse as the fish grows. I honestly would listen to the people advising you to take the fish bac and it wont make you a failure, we all have to start somewhere just make sure you start right :).

16. Beeker Well Known Member Member

If you feel you need to return the Rosies, that would probably be a good idea, but don't forget you still have to return the clowns, the shark, and one of the plecos.
    Sirdarksol is right about that.