10 Gallon Tank Hi! I’m new to fishkeeping

Neptunethebetta

Hi! I’m new to the forum as well as owning fish. Around four weeks ago, I got a 10 gallon tank for my birthday and started cycling it for around 2-3 weeks, before going back to my LFS and getting my first fish, Neptune, a red and light blue, small, veil tail betta. Previous to getting Neptune, I added my gravel substrate, bought 3 different types of live plants, a main wood piece, a rock (I forgot what it was called!) and my heater (the filter was already built in). I then got some antler floaters from someone who already owned a fish tank.

After a week of owning Neptune I got some shrimp and a golden mystery snail, as well as some subwassertang and java moss from an online shop, aus shrimp home. Unfortunately Neptune wanted a snack and ended up scaring the shrimp into hiding and killing the mystery snail. Ideally I would’ve wanted the tank to be a community tank, but after that I was a bit scared to put corydoras in, in case he attacked them.

It’s been great owning Neptune and I hope I can learn more about fish keeping on here! :))

Attachments

• FFBB61CC-2252-4A7A-A238-9D745DF2D79C.jpeg
    FFBB61CC-2252-4A7A-A238-9D745DF2D79C.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 17

BradleyH2O

Howdy and welcome! That’s one fine looking betta.

BigManAquatics

Welco.e! Hipefully we can help guide you when you need!

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

HeavyHeart

Welcome!!
Best advice when it comes to vetta is to introduce you betta back to the aquarium after your shrimp and snail have been in there for a few weeks. Or until your shrimp start breeding. Bettas don't like when new things suddenly appear in their home. Add your corrys(they like soft and smooth substrate since corse substrate damages their under belly and fins) pigmy corrys are great fyi! And you can have more in a 10 gal!

FishDin

Welcome!

10 gal is too small for cories IMO unless you go with dwarfs or pygmies.

Neptunethebetta

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice everyone! I think I’ve decided to just keep Neptune by himself for now, but I heard that nerite snails might be ok, so I might try to get one soon and see how he goes with it. :)

Aunyua

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice everyone! I think I’ve decided to just keep Neptune by himself for now, but I heard that nerite snails might be ok, so I might try to get one soon and see how he goes with it. :)
I have a tiger nerite with my betta and he hasn’t bothered it yet! Good luck with yours!

Neptunethebetta

I have a tiger nerite with my betta and he hasn’t bothered it yet! Good luck with yours!
Thanks!

Aqualover

Neptune looks beautiful
Hopefully he’ll get along better with his new tankmates

Noroomforshoe

Nerite snails are a good option because they don't have the tempting antennae that many other snails do. Just a heads up, they are likely to lay hard to remove sesame seed size eggs around the tank. Some have said they wish they had known that before getting their nerites though it never bothered me.
I would not recommend cories in a ten-gallon, not even dwarfs and not even pygmies. Good luck!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Magnolia35
Replies
Views
Vinh
Replies
Views
Amyjw
Replies
Views