Hi, I'm new to fishkeeping...

joeycasperanita

Reaction score
AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!
Unfortunately, when I started I went to a store that didn't give me entirely correct information and said it was ok to use my two black mollies to cycle my tank (it had been running for a week but I since know the cycle wasn't nearly ready to be completed). Still, they thrived and I've learned a LOT from this site and love it. Some info: I have a 10 gallon heated freshwater with 2 black mollies named Nut and Bar(bigger) and a silver sailfin molly named Princess Plinko Poptart. When I first started I got the tank for my cats to watch (they love taking turns every now and then to watch and I actually think they're fond of them since they've never tried to open the lid which I taped down or bite or paw at them. They just sit there and watch).
Happily now my tank is well cycled, the fish are happy and I'm learning so much about how wonderful these fish are! I never thought they'd have so much personality! So much so that Princess Plinko Poptart nudges my finger if it's feeding time and I dip my finger into the water before I give them food! It's too cute (she can be a bit of a pig but my other fish seem to be getting their fair share so it's going well). Anyway, that's my 2 cents for now and it's great reading about all your tanks and information. I am considering upgrading to a beautiful 55 gallon in the next few months and (unfortunately) I've read about a lot of people saying mollies should be kept in a species only tank? Is that true? My LFS said they are community tank fish that like at least some other mollies to play with and should be fine with most other species! Anyway, I will check back for a response soon! I love this site
THanks everyone for making newbies like me feel so welcome!!! ;D

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore! It's great to have you with us! I have never heard of mollies being in a species only tank. I do know that they prefer a little salt in their water, so maybe that's part of the reason that's being said. You will really enjoy a larger tank, and it will much easier to maintain than your 10 gallon.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore! ;D Glad you like the site. You will enjoy it here. ;D

Gwenz

joeycasperanita

Reaction score
Yes, I added some salt and the fish store that I go to said most other fish would be ok with that amt of salt (1tbsp per 5 gallon) since it's so little in comparison to what salt levels could be. I've generally found that there's SO MUCH contradictory info out there so I am using people's experiences here along with my fish store to figure out how to best keep my fish happy. I have my 3 mollies in the 10 gallon, as I mentioned, and they seem to be enjoying the space. I don't really think I want or need to add anything else in there since I don't want to overcrowd and they are just so happy. I can't really imagine where anything else would fit! I don't know. I want fish I can upgrade to a 55 gallon in the future and now I'm worried that the mollies won't be happy with anything else. My FLS said they are passive fish though and as long as they have company they'd be fine. Not sure what to do...

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
WELCOME ;D

jinx_beta

Valued Member
Reaction score
HI, and WELCOME to fish keeping ;D

kristyn

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore, you'l like it here.

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
Welcome , you will get a lot of good advice from people on this sight. ;D

LarryDavid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome To FishLore!

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
Welcome. ;D

zeddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
not really mollies are brackish thats why

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome!

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Hi Joey. Welcome to Fishlore.

Aaaah, the eternal mollies and salt question. There is contradicting information around, you're not kidding. OK, so here's the story. In the wild, mollies don't really have that much salt at all. Salt is a disinfectant, and mollies are prone to disease, so some peoplle as a matter of course will always treat the tank with salt, others only use salt if they suspect a disease. I am of that second category, although I started off by systematically adding salt. I think adding salt is extra work, extra money, and may exclude other fish from being compatible tank mates.

As for tank mates, as long as you're not overcrowded, they get on well with plecos and otos, which have the advantage of being algae eaters (mind you, so are mollies!).

Wishing you lots of fun with your new little friends. I know I wouldn't swop mine for the world. Mollies are great!

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome To Fishlore!!!!! Were Glad To Have You Here!! Miley

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom