Hi I'm Mac! Very New To Fishkeeping And Experiencing My First Power Outage With An Aquarium.

Mac88

Reaction score
I'm new to fishkeeping and currently experiencing my first power outage. I had a betta fish as a child in a bowl on the kitchen table but with a single mother of three as it's primary caretaker we were shortly going back to the store to see where she had taken our "sick" fish. My son just turned 6 and I decided to get him an aquarium. Doing little research at first but much more since I got him a 10 gallon aquarium and convinced him to stock it with guppies. We are currently experiencing a hurricane and our first power outage with an aquarium. Having the aquarium only set up for a week and a half I of course was not prepared with a battery operated air pump which I will be ordering very soon. I did put my fish in early and only lost one out of the six original guppies but being the only one dead the next morning I'm assuming he was already sick. I have since added 2 more guppies one to replace the lost one and one extra in case more were sick from the store and a glofish shark it is the glofish 10 gallon set up. I've done research and have also added live plants (one of which came with baby snails) from a neighbor's koi pond and a piece of buffer pad in my filter from his pond's filtration system hoping to speed up the nitrogen cycle since I only learned of this after getting the starting knowledge from little research and the local fish store employee. I moved the fish tank to the house I'd be staying at during the storm because we usually are the last to lose power and first to get it back. I did a 70-80% water change the night before last during the move, the fish staying in the tank because we were only going 15 minutes down the road. The fish seem fine and I already have 2 gallons of water to do a partial water change asap and the API freshwater test kit to check my ammonia levels and my house temperature is very close to their natural temperature. What am I missing? Oh yeah and I purchased a 65 gallon tank but haven't yet set it up but plan to soon in case the guppies have babies. Any advice is very much appreciated. Please don't be too hard on me as I am very new to this and need positive encouragement not any negative discouragement.

Mac88

Reaction score
I also reintroduced my bubbler to the aquarium to try to get my oxygen levels as high as possible knowing a power outage was likely unavoidable. I had previously removed it to try and lower the pH in the tank it was at 8.0.

Heron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You seem to have most bases covered. A battery air pump and a supply of batteries is a very good idea. Most fish can cope with a drop of temperature for a few days no problem, if your room is not very cold not having a heater shouldn't be an issue short term. Also as long as you have a little natural light the fish should be fine and the plants may suffer a bit but should recover afterwards. If your filter is air powered then your battery pump will keep it going, if it's electric the bacteria should survive a few days before dying. The number of bacteria may drop and it may take a few days to recover completely. If your filter is electric it won't be filtering the water while the powers off so do daily water changes to keep your amnonia down. If you have a test kit you should keep an eye on the chemistry . If in doubt change more water.

dcssdrew

Reaction score
Went through this with hurricane Irma. I just used my siphon, but instead of going to an external bucket, it dumped into the HOB filter. Filtered the waster and provided gas exchange. I did this a few times a day, with no casualties.

Mac88

Reaction score
There is a little natural light but heavy cloud cover outside. The kit came with a power filter and heater so the tank stays at a constant 78°F. Some people say to put your filter media directly in the tank during an outage but I'm assuming that's only if you have the backup air supply. Would you wait to change the water or do it immediately? Keep in mind I ran the bubbler for at least an hour or more to raise oxygen levels which I will be buying a test kit for in the near future. Thanks for the reply.

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you have a generator at the house you can always run the filter and light on the generator. I live in an area where we get inconvenienced by these storms and the house i rented had a small 1.2kw generator already here. Perfect size for running my 3 aquariums. My larger generator goes for the fridge, freezer, and some fans. Frozen water bottles can be used in case the water temperatures climb to high.

Mac88

Reaction score
I bought the gravel vacuum with the bulb on it so I should be able to do that no problem.
dcssdrew said:
Went through this with hurricane Irma. I just used my siphon, but instead of going to an external bucket, it dumped into the HOB filter. Filtered the waster and provided gas exchange. I did this a few times a day, with no casualties.
How long did you do this each time?

dcssdrew

Reaction score
just a couple minutes at a time, it doesn't create the vacuum like dropping into a bucket, so it requires some manual labor.

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When we have hurricanes, I use a deep cycle marine battery hooked to a power inverter and plug my filters into this. I also plug the filter into a timer and set the timer to come on every few hours. Then I just recharge the battery as needed from the generator. I have many tanks so this seems to work the best. You just have to get the power inverters with the alligator clamps instead of the cigarette lighter adapter for a car.
Oh, and welcome. And be careful. You will get addicted to fish keeping before you know it. Just a warning

Mac88

Reaction score
Power came back on! Hopefully it's all back to normal here. Fish seem to be just fine. Will definitely be better prepared for next time. Thanks for the advice and the welcomes.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom