Hi, I'm Jenn! Plz help

QueenJenn

Reaction score
I have questions about my freshwater tank it is a 37 gallon tank and my fish are dying. Where do I post to? I have re-read the intro e-mail a thousand times and tried to navigate the site and I can't for the life of me find the drop down to go to! Lol I don't know if this is just user error or the stress of not knowing wha's wrong with my fishies! Thank you

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
QueenJenn said:
I have questions about my freshwater tank it is a 37 gallon tank and my fish are dying. Where do I post to? I have re-read the intro e-mail a thousand times and tried to navigate the site and I can't for the life of me find the drop down to go to! Lol I don't know if this is just user error or the stress of not knowing wha's wrong with my fishies! Thank you
Can you fill this out? It gives us much of the information we need. Also a photo of the whole tank and close ups of any sick fish would help.
Fish Emergency Template | Freshwater Fish Disease 376562

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depending on what is going on the topic can fit in a few places :) Freshwater fish illness and diseases is probably where I would put it or even in the general freshwater fish topics. :) You can even post the information here in this thread. Just give us as much information about the fish and tank as possible.

I'll be watching for your post! Hopefully we can help

QueenJenn

Reaction score
e_watson09 said:
Depending on what is going on the topic can fit in a few places :) Freshwater fish illness and diseases is probably where I would put it or even in the general freshwater fish topics. :) You can even post the information here in this thread. Just give us as much information about the fish and tank as possible.

I'll be watching for your post! Hopefully we can help

I still cannot figure out which thing to post to so I will respond to you. It is not one fish and I am not sure if it is sickness or the water or what so I am going to answer all of these as well as I can, thank you.

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 37
How long has the tank been running? approx 8 days
Does it have a filter? y
Does it have a heater? y
What is the water temperature? 83
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? haven't yet
How much of the water do you change?
What do you use to treat your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes approx 30 hrs
What do you use to test the water? API freshwater master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0.5-0.7
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2x day
How much do you feed your fish?
What brand of food do you feed your fish? API trop flakes & omega one freeze dried worms
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? freeze dried and flakes mix

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? multiple fish affected about 2/3 days each
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? yesterday
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? sitting at the top/ laying still on the bottom, moving fins but just sitting still, my one angel i believe was also attacked by my cichlid which i returned to the store. that angel was swimming in backflip motions & he would do the same as the other fish that were not attacked, which has happened to 3 fish they have been sitting on the bottom and not moving, when a fish comes up to try to eat them or what not because they're dead they get startled and move again. i do have a bubbler because i was worried it was due to lack of oxygen but i don't know if that is the case anymore.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? no
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? not that i noticed
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? n

4 have passed, two angel, 1 molly, and one tetra all at different times angels both passed monday, molly had been doing VERY poorly and hasn't actually died yet and my small tetra passed saturday, my bf said therewas white on them but they weren't in the tank long enough to develop the white stuf that happens when thy sit ( I don't think) none of them were in there for more than 45mins after being completely dead

TheDitherFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
probably ammonia poisioning is what they died from cause its a uncycled tank. Learn about the nitrogen cycle as it is could be most important thing in the hobby. Your tank is not cycled if there is no nitrates and ammonia, did you use a bacteria in a bottle? the cycle process takes about a month or 2

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TheDitherFish said:
probably ammonia poisioning is what they died from cause its a uncycled tank. Learn about the nitrogen cycle as it is could be most important thing in the hobby. Your tank is not cycled if there is no nitrates and ammonia, did you use a bacteria in a bottle? the cycle process takes about a month or 2
What @TheDitherFish said, but do a 50% water change first.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with others, your tank is not cycled so the fish are likely suffering from ammonia poisoning. 50% water changes daily will help the remaining fish survive until the cycle finishs.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You didn't say what you treat your tank water with. If you don't have private, untreated well water, and you aren't using a dechlorinator, the chlorine and chloramines in the water are what are killing your fish. Ammonia at those low levels wouldn't kill your fish in just a week or two. Chloramines and chlorine can kill them overnight. I recommend Seachem Prime both to dechlorinate and to protect your fish from low levels of ammonia while your tank is cycling.

jpm995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the store didn't inform you about cycling your tank shame on them. Like someone said immediate water change to bring down ammo, then maybe add live bacteria to speed up the cycle. Theres an article about the nitrogen cycle on this site and a sticky on setting up a freshwater aquarium. there must reads.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom