hi, im heather a newbie here

1. LadyBug82 Member Member

:;hi2 to everyone im heather and im new and i just got a 40g long fish tank for my daughter serenity that is 4yrs old. she wants the rocker princess theme tank. I'm from california in the central valley area.

2. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!

Do you have fish yet? It's best if you haven't, as you marked you don't understand the nitrogen cycle. Please, before you get any fish, read about the nitrogen cycle until you understand it inside and out. Failure to understand it has led to the deaths of countless fish.

I'd recommend posting a detailed list of equipment and livestock you want to get, experienced members here can look it over and point out any problems ahead of time, saving you money and headaches in the future :)

3. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

I see you already made a stocking thread, so never mind about that >.>

4. LadyBug82 Member Member

im planning on reading it, i have the tank the some decor and plants i got like 8 to 10lb bags of gravel for the tank useing black and got a bag of colorful gravel to mix with it, also got a heater and a filter for a 55 gallon tank and i got some tablets that u drop in to get the tank ready for fish, is there anything else i need?

5. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

What heater and filter did you get? Some will say they are rated for a certain size tank, but do not actually flow enough water.

You will want to rinse your gravel in warm water before adding it to the tank, to get any tiny debris out.

I'm not sure what the tablets you got are meant to do exactly, but you will need a water treatment chemical to neutralize chlorine or chloramine (depending on what they add to your water) and heavy metals. Any water that goes into the tank will need to be treated per directions on the bottle. People here like to use Seachem Prime or Amquel Plus, if you can find either of them.

You'll probably want to start the nitrogen cycle as soon as you can, since it takes at least a few weeks to complete. (I think it's usually anywhere from 2-8 weeks to get a tank cycled and safe for fish.) So go ahead and set your tank up on a proper stand, make sure it's balanced using a level (so it doesn't explode after you fill it up), get your cleaned gravel, decorations, equipment and everything set up, and fill it with untreated water. You want to run it with untreated water for a couple hours to let the chlorine/chloramines kill anything harmful. Then, treat the water with your dechlorinator and follow whatever method for cycling you choose. (Methods of cycling are detailed in the appropriate article on this site. We all recommend fish less cycling for the well being of the fish, and reduced cycling time.)

6. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Pleasure to meet you!

7. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! Hope you enjoy the site and the hobby!

8. LadyBug82 Member Member

i bought aqueon quietflow50 filter up to 50gallon tanks and i bought a heater that is a aqueon pro150 and the tablets r startzyme complete water conditioner with beneficial bacteria. do i need a air bubble pump for the tank i was wondering?

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fish Lore LadyBug!

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

Attached Files:

10. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

Your filter is a HOB (hang on back), and provides 250 gallons per hour in flow. For HOBs, it's recommended to have the filter turn your water over at a rate of at least 8-10 times the volume. As your tank is a 40 gallon, that means you will want 300-400 gph total. An easy way to up your flow is to get a smaller filter rated at 150 gph or so, and run two. That's what I do.

3-5 watts per gallon is the recommended wattage for heaters, so you sound good there!

I don't know anything about those tablets, but I personally wouldn't use them, and simply follow a method of cycling I wanted. (I personally cycle with fish food.)

Sounds like you're on the right track.

11. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

If you have an air pump, a very easy way to add to bio filtration is a sponge filter. They are super cheap and pretty affective at bio filtration.

12. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

or put it on the HOB intake.

13. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

A filter on the intake is always a good idea :)

14. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fish lore! enjoy your time here and ask all the questions you like we are happy to answer them.

15. LadyBug82 Member Member

when i bought my fish tank from this guy it came with a 10 to 15 gallon filter would that be ok for the second to help the other one out?

16. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

Probably. Do you know what kind of filter it is?

17. LadyBug82 Member Member

the guy said he bought it at walmart and not the tentra one its the quaon something..lol forgot what the name was tho.

18. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

I figure there's no harm in adding it.

19. LadyBug82 Member Member

how much electricity will it take to run the two filters cause? my mom is a complaining about it.

20. LadyBug82 Member Member

here is a pic of my tank and my stuff i just put in it to keep it safe from my cats. the guy i bought it from told me its a 40g but im kinda thinking its a 37 not to sure tho.

Attached Files: