Hi I Need Some Advice On Filters

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by PurpleRose, Apr 13, 2017.

1. PurpleRose

PurpleRose Valued Member Member

hello, I currently have a 20 g fish tank I am finalizing the cycle of my tank, my issue is my current filter might not be strong enough it's a Marina a s20 in the back type, as water has been cloudy more then 2 days, I can't use a different filter on the back since they are too bulky and my tanks hood doesn't really fit many tank filters I have done a few, whenever I can do a larger water change I will try to fit my tank where it has enough room to put a larger filter on the back. but for now I have seen some that can be put inside the tank like a corner filter and some that can be put inside the tank tetras brands but not sure if those can be in full water tanks, I was just wondering if anyone is using one of these do they work good? any other recommendations for a filter I can use with limited thank room and hood space I have had cannister filters but they are pretty big and lots of issues with it,I am doing regular PWC anywhere from 10 to 20% and we don't over feed out Molly.. thanks

2. Tanks and Plants

Tanks and Plants Well Known Member Member

If you are only keeping platys I would suggest using a hydro sponge filter. They will give you some mechanical filtration, but offer more biological filtration.

Sorry I cannot use that link. Try and type in API Hydrosponge filters and you can see what they are. I use them in all my tanks.

You would just need an airpump, some airline tubing, and a air stone.

This short video should help

Good Luck!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  3. C

Chaory Valued Member Member

The cloudiness may be cause from an uncycled tank. It is normal and will go away on it's own. Other than that, it's overfeeding, but you already mentioned that you don't. I would recommend daily 10-30% water change until the tank is fully cycle.

4. OP
    OP
    PurpleRose

It's been running since March 3rd I also started using stability about 3 weeks ago. another member had suggested that the tank is cycled as ammonia and nitrite 0 Nitrates 0..., and I did a 25% water change last night, I feed lightly every other day I plan to keep fancy guppies neon tetras maybe tiger Barb's honey dwarf gourami fish I just need something to do what my current filter doesn't, the corner filters have the 3 cartiages and the one I am running only has one, so just wanted to know if the types of filters will be enough for the types of fish I want.

5. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I think if nitrates are O it means you are not cycled.

6. C

You need some reading of nitrates for a cycled tank. It could be that you struck a mini cycle. When was the last time you test your water, what type of brand, and test are you using? Do you gravel vac when changing the water? Any new fish added as of late?

7. Tanks and Plants

That's what I thought before, but in a very well established tank and with the right biological media you could have zeros across the board and still be fully cycled.
    Or if you have a tank that has a very small bioload the tank still could be cycled but because of the small bioload you can have zeros across the board.

8. Tanks and Plants

Keeping tiger barbs and guppies could be a recipe for disaster. Tiger barbs are known fin nippers and the guppies tails would be like giving a hungry dog a bone. Even the gourami can have some problems, they have those long(I don't know what they call it) really skinny fins on the their bottom side. And tiger barbs can get to a good size bigger than guppies. I would maybe rethink your stocking. And IMHO the hydrosponge filters should be good enough if you feed lightly and don't over stock your tank. I would get maybe the hydrosponge 3 or 4 although they are big they work very good and a lot of fish stores and even fish breeders use only sponge filters in their tanks.

9. C

I forgot to add, did you rinse any filter media in tap water or change out any media?

10. OP
    OP
    PurpleRose

this morning, and did 25% water change again, API master kit. I did use the gravel vac today, mini cycle you mean that it hasn't gone through the complete cycled? how it it is only mini cycle can I get it to finish the cycle process? I am going to keep doing the water changes as recommendations from a few on here have suggested
    No the only way I cleaned them was in old tank water when they were gross looking,after water changes, I did 25% last night and 25% this morning. have NEVER washed anything in tap water as it kills the good bacteria the tank needs I used prime stability and regular water conditioner from API, and I test every day sometimes twice a day with the API master kit

11. C

I would just wait it out then and see if it clears up or do larger water changes vs smaller ones.

12. OP
    OP
    PurpleRose

Okay I have done 25% last night and 25% in the morning, if this keeps up how much can I safely remove without killing any of the good bacteria?? I have thought of trying 75% but worried that might've been too much. the tank has only been this cloudy since I have done the larger changes so I am really confused. And am wondering if I will ever make the tank right :(

13. C

You can do very large water changes (50-90%). Most of the benificial bacterias are in your medias and not in your water. Just make sure to match water temperatures close.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice