Hi, I have great news for dropsy suffering!

MeloDe

Reaction score
I am new and just want to share a miraculous experience. My oldest (6 or 7 years old) male Betta had a full blown case of dropsy due to my cats drinking from the bowl for months. I did not realize how polluted a bowl could get from cats drinking out of it. The water did not look bad or smell bad and I was constantly adding fresh water or doing partial changes, but it happened anyway. Don't let cats drink out of fish bowls unless they are filtered very well.

Anyway, he looked typically like a pale pine cone struggling for life and the dwarf African frog and fresh water clam that were housed with him were not looking well either. I removed them all to a clean bowl with fresh water and watched for a day, amazed that the Betta didn't die yet. Then I did something I do for people when they are toxified; I changed the water to distilled for two days and noticed the Betta was improving in color and the scales were beginning to flatten a little. The frog and the clam responded immediately in a positive fashion. I was leaving for a trip to No. Cal. the next day. I put everyone into a clean bowl with clean rocks and new distilled water, a plant, some worms and hoped for the best. At this time the frog and clam were doing fine and the Betta was looking a lot less like a pine cone. I was gone for nine days and upon returning my Betta was back to his normal ancient bulldog self. He still is and it has been 16 days since he was on deaths door. He is eating fine and everyone seems to be no worse for the wear. Amazing!

Apparently, distilled water works the same with fish as it does people. Distillation removes everything from water, making it pure H2o which in turn causes it to pull toxins from whatever it is combined with, such as body toxins in a fish with kidney failure (which we know is what dropsy is all about). The fishes inability to remove toxins from itself through the kidneys is a death sentence with no cure. Not anymore!

DISTILLED WATER IS THE CURE FOR DROPSY! It may not work with every fish every time, but if it works even once, that's pretty amazing and why not give it a try anyway. My fish is far older than the average Betta thus making these results even more miraculous. Imagine how a young fish might respond! Just wanted to tell the world as fast as I can so others can save fish they love or just don't want to loose.

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting, how does one make distilled water (or do you have to buy it)

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up on your possible cure for Dropsy.. I've lost several fish to it and even the medicine that's sold doesn't gurantee curing it unless it's caught early.. welcome aboard.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Distilled water is impossible to make unless you have a lot of very large equipment. It is made of a great deal of steam. (drop by drop) It is simpler to go to the grocery store and buy it. It is not expensive (about $0.69 a gallon here). Just be careful and read the label, there is Distilled Water, Drinking Water, Spring Water and Reverse Osmosis Water and they are all different.

Rose

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fish lore, and THANK YOU for this very interesting and promising piece of information!

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore! I'm so glad your fish and buddies are doing better. However, I am concerned by your experience, because the ph in distilled water is probably drasticallly different from the normal ph of the tank before changing the water. A drastic change in ph can kill some fish in a matter of minutes, and would be something I would consider before trying this approach. In your case, I am thrilled it helped your situation.

Debbie N

Reaction score
Distilled water, not Epsom salts?

Hi,

I just had my Betta succumb to Dropsy. He survived through 2 rounds of treatment with Maracyn 2 and 2 days of Kanamycin. I added Epsom salt to his water but the swelling just wouldn't go down. In fact, I haven't heard of anyone curing dropsy so I will try this should it ever happen again. What a horrible disease; I wish I'd read your post earlier.

Thanks for the info!

Kevin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
wow...sounds like you work at a hospital...or grew up around one
thanks for the info!

!!!CAN ONE OF THE MODERATORS STICKY THIS IN THE DISEASE AREA!!!

≈ D ≈

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi there :;bananahi Welcome to FishLore. Glad everything worked out for your Betta and x for sharing the tip

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
MeloDe. Congrats on having such an old betta. You are obviously taking great care of it.

Thanks so much for this tip too. I'll definitely give it a try.

Chief_waterchanger

Well Known Member
Reaction score
(Heads up) the thread was a year old before it was revived. You really should start new threads rather than reviving long dead threads.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes, it's old and the only post by that member.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Why does it matter that much. It brought the matter back to everyone's attention.

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have serious doubts of this method.
The fact that it is a single post by someone ( most likely a bot) inclines me to trust it even less.

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Back when Debbie N was having problems with her betta, I promised to pass on a link that will explain better than I can, the process of osmosis in freshwater fish, and why it is not a good practice to use aquarium salt in the freshwater tank as a matter of everyday maintenance.

The problem is that it does more than just "excite the production of slime coat" as we can see from the essay, the true freshwater fish is not equipped to deal with salt in its tank water.

This is not to say that for short periods of time in a quarantine tank it can be of benefit, as in using Epsom's salt in the treatment for dropsy.

Fish that have developed to be adapted to brackish water do not suffer in a light salt environment the same way that freshwater fish do.

By the same token, and I think any saltwater enthusiast would be able to tell you the level of salt in a Saltwater tank setup is of vital importance, for just the reasons explained in this essay.

The first article I read on this idea that "fish don't drink" a study of osmosis in fish was in an article I believe in Aquarium Magazine, but I can't find that now, and this essay is less technical and easier for everyone here to understand.

Lastly we all know that Dropsy is a condition where the kidneys fail to eliminate water, thus 'swelling'. To place the fish in a solution of Epsom's salt would draw the water out. However this does not cure the underlying condition of kidney infection/failure.
Just like in humans when our kidneys are infected, antibacterial medication can restore the kidney function. However with kidney FAILRUE, there is no cure except transplant. This is why dropsy is so often fatal in fish.

I would always try to cure the fish, because we don't know if it is a case of kidney infection, or failure, without trying. This is the reason to treat a fish that you suspect AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Does that mean the distilled water would not work? Sorry please speak in layman's terms

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am certainly a "layman" myself, but my take on it is that water is drawn toward the salt.

JUST ask GRANDMA, when you cure ham, you put salt on the outside, and the water comes out of the meat, and .........sorry.

So IF what MeloDe was saying, that there was a buildup IN the fish of salts and waste, and the Distilled water draws it out, was true, distilled water would help, I believe this is false.

The problem is the kidneys fail to work,(stop eliminating waste) = the body is higher in salt, therefore the body draws in water (bloat). The counter for this is to up the salt on the outside to draw the water back out, (water and salt come out till there is equilibrium),since the kidneys aren't eliminating it. BUT without medicating the fish and curing the kidney infection, it will not recover. If the kidneys have FAILED, there is no cure.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't believe it would have any remote chance of possibly working, to be honest. I'm inclined to agree with Dino and even if this wasn't a bot, I wouldn't trust the post since it couldn't possibly be true.

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
A more "up to date" term to explain the condition known as dropsy is EDEMA. If you google edema in fish there are some interesting articles that further explain it.

Tazmiche

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Dino said:
I have serious doubts of this method.
The fact that it is a single post by someone ( most likely a bot) inclines me to trust it even less.

Having just lost my Honey Betta to dropsy i read this but off thread what does BOT mean??? I know bot flies as i have to pick their eggs off my horses legs each year. I enjoy learning US terms.

Re distilled water i know that some aquatic store sell it and i guess i MAY have tried it with Honey as i so wanted her to live but as a last hope. Sadly she turned really bad at the last few hours, i guess that was lucky really!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom