Hi! I am a newbie. 10 Gallon Tank 

Cdbaby123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am new to the aquarium hobby. I have had a betta fish at work for years but now have a 10 gallon tank at home. I have learned that my work betta needs a tank upgrade which I am working on.
4 weeks ago I had no idea about cycling a tank and just went and bought a tank, filter a betta and some tetras..... well some how I have been able to keep them alive while the tank cycles.... so needless to say I am sure I will have tons of questions....

Attachments

Shika

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello and welcome! A lot of people here have done the same thing when it comes to not cycling (as well as keeping a betta in not-so-satisfactory living conditions), so don't worry! Most of us have been there and eventually learned enough to make the fish live better lives!

I'm just curious for my own sake: do you know what kind of tetras you got?

Edit: Also, what a cute and colorful tank! My only suggestion would be to make sure the plants aren't super rough; the ones at the bottom of the 'no fishing' sign and the rock in the front look a little hard for betta fins. If you find they're ripping the fins, I know they can pretty easily be yanked out without majorly destroying decorations (I did that with a rock in my tank!)

elisa001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I did almost the same thing with a goldfish I got and placed him inside a very small tank with no knowledge other than having a filter. I now have a very large tank with multiple giant goldfish I have had for years, along with other kinds of fish tanks. The hobby defiantly grows on you.

Cdbaby123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Shika said:
Hello and welcome! A lot of people here have done the same thing when it comes to not cycling (as well as keeping a betta in not-so-satisfactory living conditions), so don't worry! Most of us have been there and eventually learned enough to make the fish live better lives!

I'm just curious for my own sake: do you know what kind of tetras you got?

Edit: Also, what a cute and colorful tank! My only suggestion would be to make sure the plants aren't super rough; the ones at the bottom of the 'no fishing' sign and the rock in the front look a little hard for betta fins. If you find they're ripping the fins, I know they can pretty easily be yanked out without majorly destroying decorations (I did that with a rock in my tank!)
I have 3 black and 1 neon tetra. I had more of neons but they are finicky.....
The plastic on that sign does not feel hard I will make sure to watch closely the betta to make sure no issues.

trahana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Neon tetras aren't made for beginners, or for cycling tanks, so... see if you can rehome that lonely single neon.
Do you mean Black Skirt tetras? Those guys are awesome for beginners, they can handle a fish-in cycle. Congrats on being on top of the learning curve though! I love hearing about people upgrading their betta's tanks. <3

Cdbaby123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
trahana said:
Neon tetras aren't made for beginners, or for cycling tanks, so... see if you can rehome that lonely single neon.
Do you mean Black Skirt tetras? Those guys are awesome for beginners, they can handle a fish-in cycle. Congrats on being on top of the learning curve though! I love hearing about people upgrading their betta's tanks. <3
No Black neon tetras.
How to Care for Black Neon Tetras in Your Aquarium

trahana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not sure how hardy those guys are, they sure look pretty though!
I'd suggest finishing your tank's cycle before adding more fish, but keep in mind a school of 6 is minimum for small schooling fish. In a 10 gallon I'd go for a school of just one species(plus betta), otherwise your nitrates can get out of hand really quick, making for poor water conditions. In my 40 gallon I have a giant school of cloud minnows and a some non-schooling fish. The collector in me want to buy an entire fish store though, all fish are so pretty and unique!

Cdbaby123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
trahana said:
I'm not sure how hardy those guys are, they sure look pretty though!
I'd suggest finishing your tank's cycle before adding more fish, but keep in mind a school of 6 is minimum for small schooling fish. In a 10 gallon I'd go for a school of just one species(plus betta), otherwise your nitrates can get out of hand really quick, making for poor water conditions. In my 40 gallon I have a giant school of cloud minnows and a some non-schooling fish. The collector in me want to buy an entire fish store though, all fish are so pretty and unique!
I ended up with the tetras because my son got them for his turtle tank. He did some research and learned that neon tetras work well in turtle tanks; because they are fast. He added them and 10 minutes later he said get them out and put them with your betta. Franklin (the turtle) ate one.... these are what were left after being moved from store to turtle tank, to a small betta tank to the 10 gallon. I am not planning on adding any others until fully cycled. And I am still figuring out what I want....

Leeman75

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Funny story about the Turtle tank. They are fast...maybe Zebra Danios would do better. They take zippy to another level.

As for the Black Neon, I have those and love them. They're definitely underrated in the Tetra family.

I like how colorful your tank is! Welcome....I've found that this forum is full of fantastic people who love this hobby and will answer your questions more thoroughly and thoughtfully than you anticipated!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads