hi i am a newbie to keeping fish!! so if any one can help it would be great !

gennasis

Reaction score
hi i have had a fish tank for several months and i got it second had with fish and every thing so it is a mature tank!
i have for some reason been loosing my guppies i had about 20-30 to start off with and they have slowly died off!

i don't know why as my shrimp keep eating then so i never find their bodies! :'( ???

i have recently bought some new fish as my tank is getting a bit empty ( i only have 3 guppies and one baby guppy left...)
the fish i bought were 4 sword tails and 6 neons.... i lost one neon the first night i got them. But now one of my femail sword tails is dying...... she is either lying on the bottom of the tank or she is swimming vertically ......the other odd thing is that she seems to have White stuff foaming around her mouth. what should i do ?
if any one can help me it would be great thank you

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you don't allready have one you need to get a water test kit. Not the test strip version, I recomed the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals master fresh water test kit, and test your water and let us know what your readings are. Alslo how often do you do water changes and how are you doing them?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fish Lore Gennasis

Tumbleweed is giving you some good advice. I'd also recommend for you to get a test kit, and if not a test kit, at least the tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. If you already have these tests, what are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? How large is your tank? How often (and how large) do you perform water changes?

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Gennasis, welcome to Fishlore.. now down to business,that white stuff you're describing sounds like it could be Mouth-Fungus, which is not the same as normal Fungus which attacks the fish's body and so won't respond to normal Fungus treatments.. some experts recommend Phenoxyethanol to treat Mouth-Fungus, so look for a treatment at your LFS that has it.. also, to protect the other fish in the tank, you should consider removing the sick fish to a separate quarantine tank asap.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How big is this tank? Well anyway... Welcome to Fishlore.com!

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore! It's great to have you with us! Once you can post more about your tank, we will be more than happy to help you! You have come to the right place for answers!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom