Hi! How Many African Cichlids in a 55 Gallon Tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by mousiemoo, Aug 9, 2015.

1. mousiemooNew MemberMember

Hello! I'm new to this site! I wanted to ask some questions about African cichlids. I have a 55 gallon tank but I'm going to cycle, but my PH is very high and it's very hard to get it down so I thought I would go to African cichlids. I was wondering about how many I can have in a 55 gallon? thanks for your help!

2. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Nice to have you here! :D

I think LeoDiaz might be able to help you with that. :)

3. ToniaWell Known MemberMember

Hi mousie and welcome to Fishlore!!! This is an awesome site for information and learning the best care of your fish.

Which cichlids were you wanting? There are different breeds and they grow to different sizes.

You will find many helpful people who are willing to help you with your stocking choices and care of the cichlids. Welcome!

4. mousiemooNew MemberMember

Thank you!! I'm excited to be here!!!

5. mousiemooNew MemberMember

Oh thank you too! I love fishkeeping! I don't really know... I just liked the ones at Petco.. Lol! They are all in the same tank.

6. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

The most you can do in a 55 gal is 12-14, two species with a male to female ratio of 1:5.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. mousiemooNew MemberMember

8. mousiemooNew MemberMember

I looked up the ones at Petco and it said that they grow four to six inches. is that bad?

9. LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

Well we need to know wat kind of African peacocks or mbunas are common fish for a 55. Do you know wat type the one your looking at are?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice