Hi Guys!

Emil Jóhann

Reaction score
Hi my name is Emil Jóhann and I am new to the saltwater hobby. I have been in the freshwater world since i got my first aquarium ( Maybe 9 years old ) I would really like some good tips and to hear your experience in the hobby. My tank is only 2 weeks old. I was thinking about getting some corals in it or is it to soon for that? Sorry if my grammar is not good, English is not my native language

Last edited by a moderator:

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey Emil! Glad to hear you're starting a tank.

Do you know anything about the Nitrogen Cycle? Without a cycled tank, you can't keep anything.

How about lighting? Corals will need more than just the light your tank came with.

Can you also tell us your tank size, maybe what equipment you're using, and what you wanted to keep specifically?

Emil Jóhann

Reaction score
Hey Emil! Glad to hear you're starting a tank.

Do you know anything about the Nitrogen Cycle? Without a cycled tank, you can't keep anything.

How about lighting? Corals will need more than just the light your tank came with.

Can you also tell us your tank size, maybe what equipment you're using, and what you wanted to keep specifically?
My tank is 96 liters/25 gallons. Yes i know something about the cycle. But i know very little about lights, is there any you recommand? My canister filter is Fluval 106.

20180626_155635.jpg

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do you have any test kits? Fish can survive a bit harsher conditions than corals, so any ammonia, nitrite, or high nitrate will kill corals pretty quickly.

Nice looking tank, btw. Are those some locally-caught fish?

If you're wanting to keep it on the cheap side, I've used this brand before:

You'd need quite a few of those for a 25 gallon. They screw into your basic E27 light socket. You could also go the ABI route, but that'd be a bit more expensive.

Are you running any filter media in the canister filter? Generally, in saltwater, we don't use canisters. They trap a lot of nitrates and can be very bad for our tanks, especially with filter media.

Do you have any powerheads?

Whats the temperature of the water?

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Emil. Welcome to Fishlore! Congratulations on your first saltwater setup. I just love seeing new people take a walk on the salty side. We will be glad to help you with your tank.

I understand that having corals, or a reef tank, is your ultimate goal and we can certainly help you accomplish that. You're already getting some good help from @Lorekeeper. He is a great guy to talk to about inexpensive lighting. He is also correct about canister filters, so could you please answer the questions he posted? These answers will help us help you move towards your ultimate goal of having a reef tank.

Also, here is a great guide on starting your first reef tank, written by the one and only @Nart , who has helped a lot of other reefers get started, myself included.
Nart's Budget Nano Saltwater Guide For Beginners
(You will also see this link in my signature if you are using a computer to view Fishlore.)

Emil Jóhann

Reaction score
Do you have any test kits? Fish can survive a bit harsher conditions than corals, so any ammonia, nitrite, or high nitrate will kill corals pretty quickly.

Nice looking tank, btw. Are those some locally-caught fish?

If you're wanting to keep it on the cheap side, I've used this brand before:

You'd need quite a few of those for a 25 gallon. They screw into your basic E27 light socket. You could also go the ABI route, but that'd be a bit more expensive.

Are you running any filter media in the canister filter? Generally, in saltwater, we don't use canisters. They trap a lot of nitrates and can be very bad for our tanks, especially with filter media.

Do you have any powerheads?

Whats the temperature of the water?
Yes i did recently some test and this was the outcome: Ph 8.6 / Alkalinity 4.5 ( Meg/L ) / Salinity 1.025 / Calcium 380 ( ppm ) Magnesium 1160 ( ppm )
Thank you Yes these fishes were caught in the beach shores.

Yes i did recently some test and this was the outcome: Ph 8.6 / Alkalinity 4.5 ( Meg/L ) / Salinity 1.025 / Calcium 380 ( ppm ) Magnesium 1160 ( ppm )
Thank you Yes these fishes were caught in the beach shores.
My tank is 29 ℃ / 84 ℉

Last edited by a moderator:

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well, your PH is a little high, but not high enough to cause issues, IMO.

Your ALK is also a little higher than I keep mine, but again, not high enough to be an issue.

Salinity is good, and your calcium and mag are fine as well.

I'd lower the temp of your tank to around 80-82, if I were you. 84 is a fine temperature, but 80-82 gives a bit more wiggle room and is more of a "sweet spot".

Emil Jóhann

Reaction score
Well, your PH is a little high, but not high enough to cause issues, IMO.

Your ALK is also a little higher than I keep mine, but again, not high enough to be an issue.

Salinity is good, and your calcium and mag are fine as well.

I'd lower the temp of your tank to around 80-82, if I were you. 84 is a fine temperature, but 80-82 gives a bit more wiggle room and is more of a "sweet spot".
Well it is very hard to lower the tempertaure, because i don't have a heater in my tank. My apartment is very hot. I think i need a cooler. Too bad there are no good fish stores around my area I could buy online

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom