Hi Guys - New Here

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Sooetie, Apr 14, 2018.

1. S

Sooetie New Member Member

Hi Guys
    I'd been thinking of starting an aquarium for a while and saw a 20l tank on gumtree. The guy also had 3 other tanks so came away with the 20l and a 70l, heaters filters gravel a few plastic plants etc.. Would have gone for the big ones but I'm in a 2nd floor flat with no lift!
    I've been fish-in cycling the small one for 3 weeks and the larger for 1 week and all seems to be going ok. Started the small tank with 2 small mollies but the bigger was badgering the smaller so I got the bigger tank going and put him in there.
    I was thinking of putting a Betta in the small tank but could I keep the small molly in there with it as I don't really want to put him back in with the other?
    Anyway as I've used a few posts for info over the last few weeks I thought it time to join.
    Thanks for the help so far

2. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

I would not risk putting the Molly with a betta...

3. OP
    OP
    S

Sooetie New Member Member

Thanks Smalltownfishfriend
    I'll have to have a rethink then. There was a Betta in with the Mollies at the pet store so thought it might be ok.
    I really want a Betta in the small tank so maybe I'll have to get another molly to stop the bullying in the bigger tank

4. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Greetings and Welcome to Fishlore :)

mollies get bigger than most people think.

Bettas (males) really should be by themselves, and never with neons...There are those that like to argue that point.

Have I kept them with other fish with out issue? Yes. But I also have had them (males) turn killer after a year. Not worth the risk.

Mollies really need at the very least (in my view) a 30 gallon when fully grown.

Also if you keep male and female mollies in the same aquarium the ratio should be 3 females to each male. I keep 6:1 in the 150 tall.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice