hi guys....new angel enthusiast

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hI guys,

it's neville. I bought a new 75 gallon tank(still cycling) in which I wish to keep some angels. how many angels should I keep in it? some peple advised me to keep angels and discus together but I think discus needs higher temperature. can I keep a pleco with angels in a 75 gallon tank? what else can I keep with angels other than discus?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Discus do need a slightly higher temp and daily or at least every other day water changes. Very work intensive.
I have a pleco and larger neons with my angels.
Carol

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
Please do your homework before buying any fish, but especially if you want discus. They are very sensitive to water conditions, and require a lot of water changes. Before I found fishlore, I also had an interest in discus, and found an exclusive discus website that helped me a lot in my decision. I still like discus, but decided I don't have the time to dedicate to what's best for these fish. One day I will have a tank of them, but not today.

susitna-flower

Well Known
Reaction score
HI neville, I have read that although common plecos are generally easy to get along with in a mixed tank, they can pose a particular problem with 'flat fish' ie. angles, discus etc. in that they sometimes attach themselves to the fish to suck the slime coat. This is VERY traumatic and can cause death to the fish, even though they don't actually 'eat' the other fish. There are many other choices for algae controll, and even dwarf plecos that don't pose this kind of threat. Best of Luck

Fish in the Frozen North.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have never had a problem with any of my plecos bothering my angels but common plecos can get really huge.
Carol

OP
Neville

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I kept some platies with my angels, is it ok? everything looks fine to me.

New Threads